Going Wirelesss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones

In Runtime
Helloo.. I am looking at buying a dell laptop. I was wonderring if there is anyway to have wireless internet like while traveling. Lets say We are going on vacation. I want to take the laptop with and surf the web while in the car. Is is possible? Or if i wanted to take the laptop to a family members house but they didnt have a router or internet. What special things would i need to buy for wireless internet like that?

Thanks!

I know you can do it via blue tooth to a smart phone like HTC wizard device. The laptop communicates to the HTC wizard, then the phone will hop on whatever network cingular, verizon and then you can surf the net that way. If you are in bigger city you will 30 to 80k speeds, nothing blazing fast but enough to sync mail, calendar and things of that nature.

Ok.. Thanks for the info! If i bought a linksys wireless router and got a notebook card with it, How far can i go b4 the internet disconnects? We have this computer in our basement and around with walls and im afraid if i buy the router, i wont have any signal because we are in the basement. Is there anyway we can move the router to a better remote location without having to move the computer???? Thanks!

If you move the router to a higher place the better. Usually your limited to 150ft inside sometimes it changes depending on if you have concrete walls. Think of the router emitting a 3D donut around it. That how the signal is emitted. if you buy a card for the computer get the usb add on, for some reason the signal will be a lot more stronger than a regular pci card.

Ok.. Sounds Good! If i get a 2.4GHz router. Will that interfere with our cordless 2.4GHz phones?

I am thinking to try to buy a wireless router, however I am just curious to know if it is harmfull to health or not.

cyclones said:
Ok.. Sounds Good! If i get a 2.4GHz router. Will that interfere with our cordless 2.4GHz phones?
No and yes.lol It may but you won't realize it. Try just the 802.11A that way you will be on a 5GHZ band. If you do have options on the router as far as channels use 1, 6, 11 . I pretty sure those channels don't overlap into one another.

ummm... i know verizon has somthing like this anywhere around the us. if i was you id check them out.'

oh i just re read your post and if your going around the house there is another way you can do it without putting that stupid *** card in. I have a linksys routers. i would of suggested you getting a netgear router with the cable but on it. we have that and it saves the trouble of cable modem to convert the cords to the router. just call your local internet provider and have them come to you house and they will set it up for you. both my moms laptops and my dads dont need that card in them.

Just Wondering... But in our basement.. We have like sheetrock on the walls and wood inside of them.. and we have like a concrete block around the basement.. Would that affect the signal?

I have a wireless network in my household, and two computers located in the basement, while I have noticed small fluctuations in the strength of the signal from 54MBPS to 36 MBPS (using wireless G) the signal rarely accually cuts out, and if it does a simple right click and repair brings it back up. Also I believe you can edit your routers broadcasting frequency, open up your internet explorer and in the address bar enter 192.168.1.1 to edit your router settings, default password on a router is "admin"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom