Going Wirelesss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some cases that is the Ip of the router but he would be better off doing a CMD and then do ipconfig to see what the default gateway is. If he does have a linksys then you are correct in your statement.

RE:

Ok.. Well we got digital tv and they took out the old westell modem box thingy we had and now we have the black motorola gateway upstairs. I talked to my friend and he said that i should plug the router into the gateway upstairs and then just run and ethernet cable down here so i can connect the desktop to the router.

I just think that ill leave the router on the first floor so i can get better connections. Um.. Lets say that i Unplugged the cable going down to the desktop, Would the laptop still have internet? Or would i loose the connection? I also ran a connection speed on the internet and it told me that my speed was"345 kbps". If the two computers are surfing the net at the same time, How slow would my connection on the laptop be?

Ok Thanks for all the great info! My friend made me a custom cable for running the cable from the back of the gateway upstairs to the desktop that im on now. But which spot does the cable go into? We have one where our internet is plugged in right now, and there's another port like a network port but there's nothing inside? I tried plugging the custom cable into teh one where our internet is now.. The cable fits, but does not lock into position. Is this the right spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom