Go for a refurb?

yellowsnowman

Daemon Poster
Hi I am 13, I know quite alot about computers but still need to know more, I was looking for a computer for myself and my family, I was wondering if I should get a hp pavillion A705-b w/ monitor from walmart.com which is $498. Or should i get a refurbished computer w/o monitor from Tigerdirect.com which is around $398? I will be doing school work but also playing games like warcraft and counterstrike on it.

Also I would like to know if getting a refurbished computer is good to do, and is worth it.

yellowsnowman said:
Hi I am 13, I know quite alot about computers but still need to know more, I was looking for a computer for myself and my family, I was wondering if I should get a hp pavillion A705-b w/ monitor from walmart.com which is $498. Or should i get a refurbished computer w/o monitor from Tigerdirect.com which is around $398? I will be doing school work but also playing games like warcraft and counterstrike on it.

Also I would like to know if getting a refurbished computer is good to do, and is worth it.

Personally, i haven't had experience with refurbished computers, so i will let other members of this board answer it, can you put up the specs for my prying eyes?

Here are the specs:
Walmart: ($498.00)
HP Pavilion A705w-b PC (with monitor)
Intel Celeron D Processor 340
(2.93 GHz, 533 FrontSide Bus, 256 KB L2 Cache)
256 MB DDR SDRAM,
CD-RW/DVD combo drive
40 GB hard drive

Other specs:
Tiger Direct: ($399.99)
eMachines T3065 AMD Athlon XP 3000+ REFURBISHED
512MB DDR
160GB HDD
DVD-ROM
CD-RW
Windows XP Home
(If I were to get this I would have to buy a monitor also)

yellowsnowman said:
Other specs:
Tiger Direct: ($399.99)
eMachines T3065 AMD Athlon XP 3000+ REFURBISHED
512MB DDR
160GB HDD
DVD-ROM
CD-RW
Windows XP Home
(If I were to get this I would have to buy a monitor also)

This one seems to be better, though someothers might say otherwise. You don't need a new monitor if you want to go cheap, a 17inch CRT would be good. But you said you wanted to game, what is the graphics card? Does it have a AGP slot? If you want to use a budget card that is descent, i recommend asking other members, i had a recommendation from Nvidia, but i forgot the name and guessing won't help

The computer has 1 AGP slot, the graphics card is integrated graphics nVidia nForce 2

Is that enough to play games?

yellowsnowman said:
The computer has 1 AGP slot, the graphics card is integrated graphics nVidia nForce 2

Is that enough to play games?

Integrated Graphics... recommend putting a graphics card into the AGP slot and installing it. And is the AGP slot a 4X or 8X

Ermm, as I was looking over the site it says:
Graphics Description Integrated Graphics
GPU/VPU nVIDIA nForce 2
Video Interface: VGA

It has an AGP slot, I guess it just doesnt use it.

Back
Top Bottom