girl friend question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The arguments that LOTR is based on the bible are weak, and that's being outrageously nice. People assume because Tolkien and C.S. Lewis knew each other that both their books are christian allegories...that's not really true.

An in-depth study at the LOTR series and Tolkien's personal past shows very clear similaritis between the LOTR and WWI.

I, for one, think its a bit ridiculous to ciriticize harry potter because the good guys do magic.

In reality, it is mostly the christian fundamentalists who believe in witchcraft. You say there are "real world witches and warlocks in the world" but there's no evidence to suggest that, its just a rather far fetched religious principle.

I know quite a few "satanists" and I think its a silly pseudo-religion. I've talked with quite a few of them both in person and online and my impression was that they were truly atheists who just liked to screw with christians to make them mad- meh, can't blame them. I grew up in a catholic family and went to a protestant school. Its been years since I've talked with religious fundamentalists and I still can't look at a church without feeling a little vomit hit the back of my throat. I was lied to, coerced, ostracized, and scared in order to try and convert me. Everything from telling an 11 year old he'll die and burn in **** to telling other kids they shouldn't hang out with him- and this was done by the teachers and staff of my school. Thousands of years ago christians were opressed and suffered attempted forceful indoctrination...and now they're in a position of power and they do the same thing to anyone whose not a christian.

The difference between people who like Harry Potter and the people who don't is that the people who have read it and liked it don't believe it can actually happen. Its total and absolute fantasy. Apparently, some christians think warlocks and witches are real- which I personally think is, quite honestly, reason enough to be institutionalized...

I am a fundi, but that's beside the point. Let that subject lay, or this thread will be short lived.

Apokalipse said:
Just because you don't believe in an idea, doesn't mean it can't be interesting.
Definitely. I am a huge Sf/fantasy buff. I have my beliefs, but they are not in conflict. The huge commercialization of the whole HP thing is a major turn-off for me.

I am a Christian and have never seen the first Harry Potter movie, and have no desire to do so. The main thing with them is that it makes being a witch/warlock a cool thing, a powerful thing. While the stuff seen in the movie is purely Tinseltown magic, there are real world witches and warlocks in the world... but let's leave that subject where it is.

I very seldom go to movies, and my wife will not go, period... personal conviction on her part. We rent movies, though. I will go see a movie that I really want to see, like the X-Men movies, LOTR, and such.

Actually, LOTR is based loosely on the bible. Tolkien was a Christian, and wanted to convey the story in his own fashion.

As to your problem Norcent... check out her time card at work. Or use Jorsoft's suggestion. I can't believe you'd go out with someone when you don't even know their full name.

Actually, Tolkein made it very clear that his series, LOTR, was not an allegory or even a loosely based idea of the Bible, at all. One of his letters printed with many others in a compelation clearly says that to a correspondant.

Just because you don't believe in an idea, doesn't mean it can't be interesting.

I am an atheist but I do love learning about other religions and ideas. I have this attitude: I don't care what you believe in, and you shouldn't either. We can all believe in different things as long as we don't hurt each other or others. LOTR and Harry Potter is interesting, but I don't watch or read it because I'm busy with electronics. :)

While the stuff seen in the movie is purely Tinseltown magic, there are real world witches and warlocks in the world... but let's leave that subject where it is.

You can't be serious Trotter I thought you were a man of science! :O. What proof is there that such people exist...

Harry potter sux,if she likes those kinda moies dump here,a;sp asking here the cell phone thing about how to spell her last name could backfire bigtime, like what if her last name is smith and she's like WTF? this guy cant spell smith.Just ask her friends

We don't use time cards at work we use our finger prints cause some people got other people to use their time card and rip off the store so yeah. I could cut off her 2 fingers and punch in to find her last name. JK

I will figure it out somehow.

Her last name isn't like smith though. I've heard her last name but I was busy working so it didn't register right away. Its a hard last name I think anyway. Its definately not as easy as smith. I looked at the schedule at work but that only shows first names. Maybe I could get a glimpse of the name on her paycheck. My dad is the manager where I work and I eat lunch at his desk and I could probably see her paycheck sometime. I don't want to ask my dad her last name cause trust me he will tell her I asked him for her last name or he will tell somebody and it will get around the hole department.

I got my ways of finding stuff out.

Harry potter sux,if she likes those kinda moies dump here,a;sp asking here the cell phone thing about how to spell her last name could backfire bigtime, like what if her last name is smith and she's like WTF? this guy cant spell smith.Just ask her friends

Afraid that Harry would steal sony away from you and your precious BJ time will no longer be free for you to pleasure the corporation? :rolleyes:

Ever ACTUALLY read HP? The books are very good. Well written pieces of literature, not childish like some think. Though they are books written at a lower reading level, its not "childish" its just something all age groups can enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom