Gigabyte Z170 XP Boot Issues

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Good afternoon guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here. It's amazing what time does to you.

Anywho, I just built a new rig (i7 7700k with Gigabyte Z170 XP motherboard, GTX980 Ti, and 32GB DDR4 RAM). The motherboard, without an Updated BIOS, does not support my CPU. I'm finding this out since I am trying to start the PC for the first time, and it acts like it is booting (hard drive is picking up speed, as well as the other case fans), but I'm not getting any display. Is this a Graphics card issue, or is a BIOS issue? If it's a BIOS issue, how can I fix this? Can I possibly boot to a bootable flashdrive that will update the BIOS, or should I buy a cheap Skylake CPU and boot from that and then update the BIOS?

First of all, cool avatar. Leon is the sh*.

Second, are you sure the BIOS is not updated? Does the board have a system speaker? Do you hear any beeps?

The best way I think would be to take it to a shop and have them update it for you, I suppose they'll have some processors lying around. It may be the cheapest alternative, unless you can find a very cheap used Celeron or something.

First of all, cool avatar. Leon is the sh*.

Second, are you sure the BIOS is not updated? Does the board have a system speaker? Do you hear any beeps?

The best way I think would be to take it to a shop and have them update it for you, I suppose they'll have some processors lying around. It may be the cheapest alternative, unless you can find a very cheap used Celeron or something.

I just spoke with the previous owner, and he said the BIOS was never updated. I checked the pins, which was his recommendation, and all the pins were perfectly aligned. It doesn't make sense that it would act like it would be booting, but show no display.

Your other option is to buy a 6000 series (skylake?) processor as cheap as possible, update the bios and then flip the cheap cpu to try to make back your money...

Yeah all the 6000s are the "Core I-*" which are more expensive. As I said the Celeron is the best call. Although returning it would be a tad dishonest, it is the most efficient solution.

Back
Top Bottom