Getting WiFi from my house to workshop

Spud5437

In Runtime
Hi guys I'm after some help. I have the general idea of what to do but what to get help and clarity from those with much much more knowledge than myself before spending any money.
I have a workshop that is 50meters away from my house which I want to have WiFi and some wired ports. They do not share the same power or I would use power-line which I have in the garage.

I was thinking a Directional Antenna on the side of my house to a receiver on the outside of the workshop which leads to an access point on the inside. Job done?
My questions would be:
How can I connect to the directional Antenna – if its Ethernet its prefect as I have no problems sorting that
Line of sight is clear and the distance isn't far so I think it should be easy to set up but need help with the equipment.

Would this antenna do the trick?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000N9B...TF8&colid=2KW5MEB8971JJ&coliid=I3ERBZ39GQMM4S

Or would this be the way to go?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HJUH...TF8&colid=2KW5MEB8971JJ&coliid=I1UZW4YCAQ47EB

Can anyone recommend a receiver and access point and also show me where I may be going wrong?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Yeah either one would definitely work. If it's only 50m aways from your place, i recommend the first one!

Thanks!

What would I need to receive the signal from this? I have a router I can use there if it will work but its an old cheap unit so I imagine something else might be required.

I believe I will need something to receive the signal, can anyone help

Thanks PP Mguire.
Will i need one or two of these?

I want to be able to receive the signal and send it throughout my office which has large, old stome walls plus I want some devices to be wired so I want to be able to (as I see it):

Send the signal from my house - across around 50m of clear ground - receive the signal into a router - send the signal from there around the office / shed area with many walls and some wired access points.

Depending on budget, the way I would do it is have 2 of those (you need to transmit and receive) and the receiving end into a standard L2 switch (like one of those 5 or 8 port TP-Link) then wire into that. Depending on the wireless units purchased the wired devices in the shop should act like they are hard wired to the main house. You don't need two L3 units on one network (2 routers).

We just bought 4 of the AC Pro versions for our office, and hot damn they're excellent. Very nice to setup & use all round :D
We also bought a PoE switch to go with them, but didn't realise they actually come with PoE adapters anyway so don't even need the switch :p

We just bought 4 of the AC Pro versions for our office, and hot damn they're excellent. Very nice to setup & use all round :D
We also bought a PoE switch to go with them, but didn't realise they actually come with PoE adapters anyway so don't even need the switch :p
Yup, my whole network is Ubiquiti but for this guy we're talking their long range stuff.

Back
Top Bottom