Getting back into the fray.

hikaricloud

Golden Master
So it's been a loooonnnnngggg time since I've been folding of course. Things had been quite hectic when I stopped folding, not to mention I could only effectively fold on my CPU which didn't yield a whole lot.

Now I have a 660, so things are a little different now. Thinking about getting back into the game in the near future. I've been out of the loop for a while though, so what's the best way of moving forward with my setup? Still have the tri core in my sig. I think I used to use HFM or something to monitor, still the best option? Also best client, etc etc etc.

Computer's on all the time while I'm at work, might as well make that 660 sing. Anyone know what kind of ppd a 660 gets?

Welcome back, 660 sadly right now can't fold properly..... but you can get them to run. Kepler is too new for the non beta version.

It should do like 12k roughly, if its like the 560ti.. but as they are so new, its hard to tell.

if you use the "stable" version: Folding@home - HomePage
You'll have to update the white list, aka known gpus
Folding Forum • View topic - GPUs.txt

Or you can get all techy and run the beta:
Folding Forum • View topic - FAHClient V7.2.9 (8th Open-Beta)

And it should know your gpu.

Folding setup is totally different now, as its an install and answer the simple questions.

So, giver a try, and let us know how the 660 runs.

Lame. Oh well, I'm sure it will be better than folding on the 5770, lmao. That was excruciating back then.

So that went off to a lousy start...using the beta client screwed my entire system with similar symptoms to when my last video card was dying. And because it auto started, every time I restarted everything crashed again. Somehow got it uninstalled...need to do more research I guess.

Weird, use safe mode next time to uninstall

What happened?

Cause it shouldn' be that hard. Maybe try the "released" version.

Also remeber it trys to max everything out if it is supported, ie, it'll try both smp and gpu

Last edited:
Yeah, I did both and everything mucked up. It started running, and a minute later everything started crashing like it used to when my old card's driver wigged out.

I'm running FurMark right now to stress the GPU and everything's fine. I'm gonna run Prime95 here soon to make sure my CPU is fine, though I'm sure it is. My main worry about the CPU is temps since I don't have a working fan on the heatsink, but my temps are low by default anyway.

EDIT: So I've been running FurMark for 15 minutes, no problems. Even when my screensaver came on. Max temp is 65c, uses about 108-111% TDP while using 99-100% of the GPU. Not sure what's up. I guess I'll try the stable release and update the whitelist.

Last edited:
While i can prime95 my cpu at a nice temp, folding can seriously overheat and eat any overclock, no matter how stable its thought to be.

I'd try just the gpu slot, and set it not to auto start

While i can prime95 my cpu at a nice temp, folding can seriously overheat and eat any overclock, no matter how stable its thought to be.

I'd try just the gpu slot, and set it not to auto start

Yeah. My temps on the CPU before everything borked weren't high at all though, bumped to maybe 32c max. At idle it's normally 22-26c (only have a 3.2ghz overclock right now).

I installed the stable release, gonna work out the whitelist when I get home. Didn't have enough time before work.

Back
Top Bottom