Getting a new monitor

henry24clay

Beta member
Hello everyone, I recently got a new computer and I'm trying to find the right monitor for it. My graphics card is a XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black. I originally borrowed a friends Acer G215HV and was relatively unimpressed with the quality of my videos (both SD and HD). I then got a Samsung S24A650D which slightly improved gaming quality but still did not improve video quality. I'm wondering if an IPS panel monitor (like the Dell Ultrasharps Newegg.com - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS-Panel Black 23" 8ms Swivel & Height Adjustable Widescreen LCD Monitor with LED 300 cd/m2 2 Million:1 DCR (1000:1)) would improve video and gaming display quality. If anyone has any suggestions as to a monitor in the $200-$300 or so range that would be an improvement I'm open to suggestions.

I know that pixel density is one of the reasons why a lot of laptop screens look better than monitors but I'm wondering how TV's (in the same price range and size as my monitor) have the same or better level of quality, again I'm thinking its the IPS panel? This monitor will be used mainly for gaming (BF3, ACIII, etc,) and HD/SD video viewing. Basically my SD videos are currently grainy or pixelated and my HD videos (720p and 1080p) don't look like I've known those qualities to appear.

If you can afford an IPS display, they are indeed superior to most TN based panels. The Dell units are routinely reviewed by Maximum PC and usually earn high marks.

I personally use Samsung EX2220's here at work and I like them.

Back
Top Bottom