Getting a New Computer

buy1tofun

Beta member
I am currently looking to buy a new computer. I do a bit of gaming but not anything major. I was wondering if there was a laptop on the market that is pretty decent for gaming and is $500 or under. I know this is hard to find a decent laptop for that price but I am a bit low on money at the moment. It would be helpful if it was able to handle good graphics pretty well and have good performance. Thanks in advance.

I've a feeling you'll somewhat disappointed in a laptop in that budget. Go to MaximumPC's website, they've reviewed several gaming laptops to give you some idea of cost for the better ones.
When Hameister sees this thread he'll probably reply. He's having some decent game play using the HD4000 graphics in the Intel i5 series mobile processors.
None-the-less, I think you'll be saving up a few more dollars to be happy with a purchase.

Yah I figured

Thanks for the help. I figured that I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted for that cheap. Do you think it would be fine if I got one of the laptops refurbished so that I don't have to pay even close to as much money?

I tend to shy away from rebuilt/refurbished stuff, but if you can find a reputable site you can certainly give one a try. Just be sure they have some kind of return policy should you have problems. You might look into Dell's overstock site, might find something that can handle gaming there.

Thanks. Would you happen to know the link for the site? Also, what do you think the lowest price for a gaming laptop would be and what ones would be that price?

I'm going to ping Hameister to this thread. He has a laptop that has decent gaming capability. But I'm pretty sure, and I hate to say this, but you'll be adding around $300 more to your budget.

Hi,

The laptop I recently bought, is a Sony SVE151D11L. I'll attach the specs for you below. It can be found on sale around $549.00 which is what I paid for it.

It's not a gaming laptop, but with an i5 3210M, 6GB of memory, and the HD 4000 graphics, it does surprisingly well. I can play Medal of Honor around 40 fps, and the same with MW2. Most games that are about 3 years old, and older, will run just fine.

It has a SATA III port, so I replaced the HDD with an SSD, and now it boots in 12 seconds flat. Even the orbs around "Starting Windows", don't have time to finish spinning. :)

Attachments

• i5 3210M Specs.jpg
    i5 3210M Specs.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4
  • i5 3210M Specs2.jpg
    i5 3210M Specs2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 4
  • i5 3210M Specs3.jpg
    i5 3210M Specs3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Sony Laptop Case Open.jpg
    Sony Laptop Case Open.jpg