Getting a CS degree at 30???

noname9511

Beta member
So to give you guys a backstory: I'm 27 years old pursing a CS degree and working at a grocery store part time. I was wondering if is getting a CS degree at 30 considered too old? Also will tech companies just turn me away if they see all I have is customer service experience at a grocery store?

Nothing wrong with that at all. I didn't start working on college for IT until I was well into my thirties.

And funny that you are working in a grocery store working on your CS degree. I got my AS in IT and now work for a company that services cash registers in grocery stores. If we needed someone else in your area right now I would definitely want to talk to you about it, but we're good for now... at least until our national customer goes live in the SouthEast. Toss me a PM and I will send you a link to the company and let you see if you would be interested.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it either, - I'm older than you and in the middle of a masters.

I'm almost 35 and thinking about going in for business management. Long as there's a purpose there isn't an age cap on education. If you're already well developed and making money in the field you want then it'd be a waste of time/money IMO but nothing to do with age.

I'm almost 35 and thinking about going in for business management. Long as there's a purpose there isn't an age cap on education. If you're already well developed and making money in the field you want then it'd be a waste of time/money IMO but nothing to do with age.
Then if you catch this years intake you'll be about the same age I was when I started my MBA at an online/distance learning University.
(open.ac.uk)

I would very much recommend it.
(though some may see it as a waste as I am happy in my current job, well respected where I work, and not looking for another job.) - but I did it for my own enjoyment.

Then if you catch this years intake you'll be about the same age I was when I started my MBA at an online/distance learning University.
(open.ac.uk)

I would very much recommend it.
(though some may see it as a waste as I am happy in my current job, well respected where I work, and not looking for another job.) - but I did it for my own enjoyment.
Wouldn't be this year.

Most people don't think of school and enjoyment in the same sentence :LOL: One of my biggest reasons not to go back is because I find basics pointless.

Yeah, I don't think age is a super significant factor. And generally, I think it's always a good idea to get a degree and give yourself more options (of course if one has enough time to do it).

Back
Top Bottom