Get your Mac, its raining Trojans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Security firm Sophos has issued a call for computer users to ditch the Windows operating system and switch to Macs for the sake of their safety online.

The call came as part of a report detailing the main trends in malicious software so far this year. The main finding was that all of the top ten threats to online users targeted the Windows environment.

The good news is that viruses and worms seem to have hit "so last season" status, and the numbers of new ones are tailing off. A mere one in 91 emails was a virus, this year, down from one in 35 this time in 2005.

However, the number of new Trojans in circulation is on the up, as is the overall level of malware. Sophos says Trojans account for 82 per cent of new threats, and outnumber new viruses by four to one. This reflects a shift in focus of the average online baddie from mischief making, to stealing money and potentially profitable information.

The company also noted that a new type of threat has emerged, which it calls ransomware. In this case, a Trojan infects a computer and the perpetrator demands money from the victim, who must pay up, or lose all his or her data.

A company spokesman said it was not surprising that sentencing for online offenses was getting harsher, given the changing nature of attacks.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/07/05/trojans_mac_pc/

Correct me if im wrong, but if everybody switched over to mac wouldnt there be just as many virus problems for the macs as there are for windows?

yeah, for that to happen, it would take more people then realistically possible to switch to mac. Face it people love windows

What? People don't love Windows, Windows is what comes on that $400 Dell. They don't know any better, so they use it.

yeah wich means theyre pretty much forced to use it. over time they grow pretty familiar with it and frown upon any other OS. or that seems to be the case for the average home pc user....i dont see too many general users running linux

massacreinfallx said:
Face it people love windows

FWAHAHA!

That's a good one. :p

There is not one person on this planet who "loves" Windoze. I'll bet even Billy Gates himself hates it with a passion. :laughing:

-I know several people who have "black boxes" running Windows and they've never grown familiar with it. Windows is a horrible and extremely cheap and easy to produce operating system that the unsuspecting people of the world just take for granted as being the ONLY operating system because they don't know better.

-Isn't it nice to know the computer companies are forcing you to use crap. How 1984ish.

-And no. The general public has no idea what Linux even is. Nobody really 'owns' Linux and nobody really advertises it either. There's so many different distros that it would be near impossible to create a brand image of any kind and thats what people respond to. If nobody knew what Microsoft was, do you think they'd buy any of thier stuff? Probably not.

mac_mogul said:
FWAHAHA!

That's a good one. :p

There is not one person on this planet who "loves" Windoze. I'll bet even Billy Gates himself hates it with a passion. :laughing:

-I know several people who have "black boxes" running Windows and they've never grown familiar with it. Windows is a horrible and extremely cheap and easy to produce operating system that the unsuspecting people of the world just take for granted as being the ONLY operating system because they don't know better.

-Isn't it nice to know the computer companies are forcing you to use crap. How 1984ish.

-And no. The general public has no idea what Linux even is. Nobody really 'owns' Linux and nobody really advertises it either. There's so many different distros that it would be near impossible to create a brand image of any kind and thats what people respond to. If nobody knew what Microsoft was, do you think they'd buy any of thier stuff? Probably not.

well i for one kindof like windows. for a couple of reasons. yes its not the best OS but we are kindof forced to use it. basically if you wantto play games your going to need windows. They force people into using windows by puting it on all computer sold at places like circuit city and people grow familiar with it

massacreinfallx said:
well i for one kindof like windows. for a couple of reasons. yes its not the best OS but we are kindof forced to use it. basically if you wantto play games your going to need windows. They force people into using windows by puting it on all computer sold at places like circuit city and people grow familiar with it
You don't need windows to play games. For linux you can use cedega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom