Get to Know Linux: File System Hierarchy

I am sorry but my lack of knowledge of different computer language has left me so confused that Ubontu and even Mint. Simple things like going on-line, i was not able to figure out. Ubontu i was but not able to figure out how to add programs that would help with other issues. I gave up and went back to windows. Someone told me that Linux was best for servers and other such things. I am inclined to believe that.
Dan - Certain Linux variants are suited for servers but many are perfectly suited and tweaked for the desktop. For instance, Mint is considered one of the easiest variant to use for someone coming from a Windows desktop background.

I'm not sure what issues you had going on-line. Were you using wifi or Ethernet? If possible, start out with Ethernet as virtually all Linux variants will establish an internet connection automatically if an Ethernet connection is present. Most variants have enough pre-installed apps that will allow you to be productive from the get go. Adding programs is normally pretty easy because most of the variants include a Software Manager that is pre-installed that will allow you to search for and install many additional apps.

I mostly just use Linux on my Raspberry Pi computers nowadays. Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) is a Debian based linux variety. It's a very lightweight OS and they even have a version of it that runs on the PC.

Don't know why but mint was the one giving me the issue with ethernet. I thought about reinstalling it but said the heck with it. First the headaches with getting it to install on this machine and then getting it to run, I just gave up on it.

I really think you have some sort of a hardware issue. I've installed Linux Mint on all types of older hardware and never had any problems getting it to work, it just installed and worked from the get go.

If you have a working Windows machine, you can use a "Live" CD of most Linux variants that will allow you to run the Linux OS from the CD without installing it first. You can test things out and see how you like it and if everything is to your liking, you can click "Install" and it will install the OS on your machine. Makes it real handy to try different Linux variants to see which one you like or which one is compatible with your hardware.

Well, tried again. this time it worked right out of the box. Have had mint in this computer for almost 2 months now. This time it works. I have just put my foot down and said the hell with windows. Don't know why but it didn't work before but i have a idea that the computer itself was the issue. It was kinda unstable even with windows. After i found out what was wrong and a few new components later i have what seems to be a pretty stable os system. its been up for a week now and works perfect.

Thanks for the memory refresher Osirus. I used a Linux Cali for penitration testing back in collage. It was certainly an experience I will never forget! wow! I was in cybersecurity training to establish a B.A in this area. I graduated with Honors. I would have made it to 4.0 GPA if it wasnt for the nightmare calculus course.

I really think you have some sort of a hardware issue. I've installed Linux Mint on all types of older hardware and never had any problems getting it to work, it just installed and worked from the get go.

If you have a working Windows machine, you can use a "Live" CD of most Linux variants that will allow you to run the Linux OS from the CD without installing it first. You can test things out and see how you like it and if everything is to your liking, you can click "Install" and it will install the OS on your machine. Makes it real handy to try different Linux variants to see which one you like or which one is compatible with your hardware.
I think you are right. hardware issues. I have also heard that new hardware can cause issues but can't prove it one way or another. Its working perfect now. I have had it in the computer for over a month now, almost two months and it is pretty stable once i fixed the computer itself. it has even newer hardware than before. i have thought about trying another Distros. thinking about Manjoro KDE. Not sure buy plasma sounds like something i would like better. i think i will wait a bit to see if this thing behaves.
One other thing, i am using a memory stick instead of cd's.

I am sorry but my lack of knowledge of different computer language has left me so confused that Ubontu and even Mint. Simple things like going on-line, i was not able to figure out. Ubontu i was but not able to figure out how to add programs that would help with other issues. I gave up and went back to windows. Someone told me that Linux was best for servers and other such things. I am inclined to believe that.
And that is exactly where Linux, in all flavours, falls flat on it's face. I do use linux Xubuntu and Mint but getting programs to install and run is a nightmare. I don't want to know the Linux file system hierarchy I just use it but I do want to be able to EASILY install programs. Windows just makes it happen Linux does not. Mint is purported to be just like Windows. Naa sorry, whilst I am no particular fan of Microsoft nor Apple (especially Apple) Linux just isn't easy end of.

And that is exactly where Linux, in all flavours, falls flat on it's face. I do use linux Xubuntu and Mint but getting programs to install and run is a nightmare. I don't want to know the Linux file system hierarchy I just use it but I do want to be able to EASILY install programs. Windows just makes it happen Linux does not. Mint is purported to be just like Windows. Naa sorry, whilst I am no particular fan of Microsoft nor Apple (especially Apple) Linux just isn't easy end of.
The last time I ran Mint I used the built in package manager and got the software/drivers I needed with just a few clicks. I thought it was rather simple. The only time I had to manually install a driver was for my printer. There is a guide to follow that was in with the driver package that made it easier. It's been a long time since I played with anything that is *nix so maybe it has changed since then?

The last time I ran Mint I used the built in package manager and got the software/drivers I needed with just a few clicks. I thought it was rather simple. The only time I had to manually install a driver was for my printer. There is a guide to follow that was in with the driver package that made it easier. It's been a long time since I played with anything that is *nix so maybe it has changed since then?
Thats what happened to me. This last time i tried Ubontu it installed perfect but i just didn't like it. I switched to Mint Cinnamon and i like it. Its not perfect but something i can live with. One thing i did need to add was the driver for the printer. I added games and there were several programs that made my life just as easy or easier than windows. If i get tired of Mint i was thinking of Plasma Manjaro KDE and see if i like it better. That is one of the things i did like about Nix Distro's, Don't like one move on. I have a friend that is going to that. If he likes it i may try it. Some may say that putting windows in will solve issues like that but nix is like letting you use windows 95 or 98se or 2000, xp ect Pick your os and if you don't like it, change it. Windows has 10 different os systems but they stop you from running them with the newer hardware. Right now its windows 10 or 11. Nothing before that. I would have gone back to windows 7, But cannot get that to work on this computer, To new a system..sucks. So i am using Mint for now. I have been able to do everything but play my older games from windows. Working on that, they are doing right now. That don't make it a game changer. I can wait.

Back
Top Bottom