Get to Know Linux: File System Hierarchy

strollin

Knowitall!
I am sorry but my lack of knowledge of different computer language has left me so confused that Ubontu and even Mint. Simple things like going on-line, i was not able to figure out. Ubontu i was but not able to figure out how to add programs that would help with other issues. I gave up and went back to windows. Someone told me that Linux was best for servers and other such things. I am inclined to believe that.
Dan - Certain Linux variants are suited for servers but many are perfectly suited and tweaked for the desktop. For instance, Mint is considered one of the easiest variant to use for someone coming from a Windows desktop background.

I'm not sure what issues you had going on-line. Were you using wifi or Ethernet? If possible, start out with Ethernet as virtually all Linux variants will establish an internet connection automatically if an Ethernet connection is present. Most variants have enough pre-installed apps that will allow you to be productive from the get go. Adding programs is normally pretty easy because most of the variants include a Software Manager that is pre-installed that will allow you to search for and install many additional apps.

I mostly just use Linux on my Raspberry Pi computers nowadays. Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) is a Debian based linux variety. It's a very lightweight OS and they even have a version of it that runs on the PC.

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
Don't know why but mint was the one giving me the issue with ethernet. I thought about reinstalling it but said the heck with it. First the headaches with getting it to install on this machine and then getting it to run, I just gave up on it.

strollin

Knowitall!
I really think you have some sort of a hardware issue. I've installed Linux Mint on all types of older hardware and never had any problems getting it to work, it just installed and worked from the get go.

If you have a working Windows machine, you can use a "Live" CD of most Linux variants that will allow you to run the Linux OS from the CD without installing it first. You can test things out and see how you like it and if everything is to your liking, you can click "Install" and it will install the OS on your machine. Makes it real handy to try different Linux variants to see which one you like or which one is compatible with your hardware.