Geil DDR2 vs Ballistix DDR2

Max25591

Baseband Member
Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

So... building a new comp and doing research into the best RAM and deals available.

Here is what i have found;

2x1Gb DDR2 4.4.4.12 800Mhz Geil = £129.99 from overclockers.co.uk
2x1Gb DDR2 5.5.5.15 1000Mhz Ballistix = £252.61 from Crucial.co.uk

From what i read the Geil ram easily overclocks to beyond 1000Mhz keeping its timings... so WHY would i buy the Ballistix RAM?>

Im deeply suspicious when it comes to such savings... Can anyone warn me of any good reason not to go with the GEIL RAM?

Cheers,

Max

Ballistix is much faster. However you won't notice it i'd go with the cheaper verison. However tha tspeed could be coutnerreated by the timings as well. 5 is kinda high. But then again it is DDR2 ram which isn't too uncommon.

I'd go with the Geil ram, mostly because of the price. It's slower but 800mhz will be fine, and the timings are better. Overall the crucial has better performance, but it isn't worth 2x the money.

Cheers for the speedy reply!

But if the lower the CAS Latency figure the faster right... so on that score the Geil is better...
On the Mhz level... OK the Ballistix is ahead... but if i can clock the geil RAM up to 1000+Mhz WITHOUT changing the timings... will the overclocked GEIL ram run faster than the Ballistix (with no o/c).

Is it a simple question of these numbers.... or is there build quality and other factores that i am not aware of involved? . . .

Probs going to go with GEIL anyway as it is easier on the pocket! - £130incVAT - thats a must buy i think...

Thanks again,
Max

If those are the Geil RAM with the Orange "heat spreaders" I would go with those. AFAIK, they use Micron D9GKX. Good stuff.

Yep, I'd go with the Geil. I have some Geil RAM in a different computer and couldn't be happier with it. Dirt cheap, too.

Erm I might just have to go with Geil I like patriort ram, relaly cheap and really good.

Seems like the decision is unanimous then! 2x1gb Geil DDR2 going in and getting over clocked!
Cheers for the advice...
Usually good advice costs more money... not today... im a happy camper!
Max

Back
Top Bottom