GEForce 6800 GS fan issues

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
I got a question about my video cards fan. It's really loud!!! and i wanna know if there is a way i can lower the speeds or if i will have 2 get a new heatsink and fan. it is by far the loudest fan in my computer and u can hear it sometimes even at lan parties and crap. idk if it is defective or just loud...some1 please help! :confused:

Riva Tuner saves another person ;)

Download Riva Tuner from here:

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

Install it and then load it up

Click on the bottom of the two Customize button, and then choose the first icon along (says "System Settings" when you put the cursor over it).

Now, go to the Fan tab, and lower the top one to 40%, the next one to 80% and the bottom one to 90%. Finally, load up a game, minimize after an hour or so, and check the temperature - if the temperature is too high, raise the fan speed, if its extremely low, you can lower it a bit more ;)

joxley1990 said:
Buy a new fan..or can't you lower the fan speed in the nVidia menu?

I agree, if the fan is loud to begin with, just find a quiet GPU fan. They aren't that hard to replace.

But:

A) It invalidates the warranty
B) Your looking at $30 inc. shipping for the fan alone, not including TIM and TIM Remover
C) If you crush the core you've bust the card
D) It's a worry - you could easily break something
E) You can do a half decent job for free ;)

prosser13 said:
Riva Tuner saves another person ;)

Download Riva Tuner from here:

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

Install it and then load it up

Click on the bottom of the two Customize button, and then choose the first icon along (says "System Settings" when you put the cursor over it).

Now, go to the Fan tab, and lower the top one to 40%, the next one to 80% and the bottom one to 90%. Finally, load up a game, minimize after an hour or so, and check the temperature - if the temperature is too high, raise the fan speed, if its extremely low, you can lower it a bit more ;)
that sounds awesome! do u know if it will work for the 6800GS spisifically (sp)? if that works that will b frekin awesome! lol, like mentioned, i would rather not replace the heatsink/fan combo if i have a choice :)

Back
Top Bottom