Geek Movies "Swordfish"

Status
Not open for further replies.

helix2301

In Runtime
Swordfish was a great movie staring Hugh Jackman, John Travolta and Halle Berry. The concept of the movie was great Stan (Hugh Jackman) a down on his luck hacker that is not allowed to touch a computer or he goes back to jail just wants to see his daughter Holly. Giger (Halle Berry) convinces Stan to meet her boss Gabriel (John Travolta) for a little job that pays good and will lead to a huge job. After some convincing and playing on Stan's love for his daughter he agrees to do the job which included hacking a mainframe which Stan does in 60 seconds which would take the normal hacker 60 minutes. Stan is then offered millions to build a worm fabricated for the job Gabriel is intent on caring out. The movie was cool and full of action but for a techie the movie had no realism. Besides a few words like encryption and bit count there was not even a shred of true technology in the entire movie. The hacking scenes showed some quick banging on the keyboard and a few quick flashing screens nothing even remotely real. I would consider this a geek movie because Hugh Jackman was the cool slick hacker that is a genius and manages to get the girl while using his super great hacking skills to out smart the enemy. Great cast and great film.

YouTube - 2001 - Swordfish - Trailer

Lol, while I did enjoy the movie (halle berry scene...mmmmm), I spent more time laughing at the 'hacking' going on than I did at anything else.

Yeah that laptop should be running Google. It did in 60 seconds what 10 Cray XT5-HE's would take 20 years to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom