GE Smart Connection Configuration Question

brianh

Beta member
I have a GE Smart Connection Center in my basement.

My home is wired with Cat5 for internet and telephones, but not for any security systems

There is coax cable coming in from the outside that connects to my router that provides my internet service. The problem is that according to Verizon, the max speed I can get out of it is 100Mbps unless I connect a Cat 5 cable from the Network Panel to my router. I would like to get faster internet speed if possible. The router has an empty WAN port, but I have no idea where to plug into the Network Panel. There are two modules in the panel: "Telephone Interface Module" and "Telephone Distribution Module." Is there supposed to be a Network Module where the Cat 5 should plug into? Photos attached.

Whatever happened to GE Security? I'm having trouble finding any info on the GE Smart Connection Center.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1.JPG
    IMG_1.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3.JPG
    IMG_3.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have more detailed information that should help.

See attached diagram "GE SMART CONNECTION CENTER PLUGS"

So I figured out that I have two Cat5 cables coming in from the outside (#39 & #40). When I disconnect #40, my telephones go dead. When I disconnect #39, nothing happens. So do I need to plug #39 into my router instead of the coax? Does something need to be done to the box outside to make #39 active?

Thanks!

Attachments

• GE_Smart_Connection_Center_Plugs.pdf
    96.3 KB · Views: 12
So GE home security now operates under the InterLogix brand. The Cat5 cables connected to the Telephone module are only being used as telephone cables (only 2 pairs used). Any drops not being used would need to be repunched at both ends to be used as network cable.

You would be best off to buy a network toner from eBay or Amazon for $15-20 and find a line that terminates near your modem. To use the networking cables in there your best option would be to get a small wired switch and connect it to the WAN port of your ISP modem. It should be able to handle all the routing for you.

Back
Top Bottom