Gateway processor upgrade suggestions

Stryker814

Beta member
I have a Gateway 838gm. I would like to upgrade my processor. From the reasearch I have done I know I can move up to a Intel Pentium D 845 3.4Ghz/4M/800Mhz. Someone also told me I could possibly move up to a quad core processor. So i would like to see what you guys say. What is the best processor I can upgrade to. If im going to do it I want to do the best possible.

Gateway Augsburg 915G Motherboard w/ PCI & 1394 4000966
Also running 4gig ram.

Thanks in advanced.

I don't want to spend much and I don't know much. I am trying to set an old computer I have up to run world of warcraft for my gf.

You need a video card then. Can you pop the case open and look for a PCI express x16 slot?

828.jpg

It does have that. I have an ati radeon x1600 512 mb card. What I have been told is wow is processor dependant so ram and video card don't make much difference. That's why I'm looking into dual core or possibly quad core upgrade. Just don't know if my motherboard will accept quad core.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5389/5389sp3.shtml

The link has a list of the specs on my computer. The only difference is I upgraded to 4 Gigs of ram and Radeon X1600 512 Pci express video card. On the same mother board in the same model computer they put a Intel Pentium D 945 3.40Ghz/4M/800Mhz Socket 775 Processor. So I know for sure I can upgrade to that. There is a guy I work with that says I could possibly upgrade to a quad core processor. Is it possible? If so what processor do I need to get. I really thank you guys for helping me. This is the 3rd place I have tried finding help and the only place I have got a reply.

It would still be more cost effective and the gains in performance would be far better if you just bought an inexpensive AM2+ or AM3 motherboard and an Athlon II X2 or X4 (or Phenom II X2 or X4 depending on budget) compared to what you'll pay and get with a Pentium D, which isn't even guaranteed. The P4 architecture, even in dual core trim, can't hold a candle to what the Athlon II can do, and in some cases can even be cheaper if you get a good bundle deal. I built an Athlon II X2 at work a couple of weeks ago and it absolutely shatters the performance of the P4 3.2 GHz it was replacing, and completely lays waste to some of the Core 2 Duos we have in house as well.

WoW is processor and RAM dependent for sure, and a good GPU will help in the long run as well. I have a Phenom II X4 940BE and a Radeon HD 5870 and it still has issues with some areas of WoW (but I have a 27" primary monitor) but a P4 just can't cope with the demands.

Your motherboard will not support a quad core. You could try, but I doubt the results will be favorable. I used to work for Gateway.

Back
Top Bottom