Gateway EV700 "Out of frequency"

Zekester2097

In Runtime
I have this old Gateway EV700 monitor, and I wanted to try to use an old Compaq Presario C500 laptop with it, as the laptops screen is broken beyond repair... I plugged in the VGA cable, and the monitor said

"
OUT OF FREQUENCY

HF : 76.7kHz
VF : 49.0Hz

OPERATING FREQUENCY :

HF : 30-70kHz
VF : 50-160Hz

POWER MANAGEMENT IN (Counts down from 20 seconds) "

"Power Management" is just the monitor putting itself in sleep mode (As I call it, you most likely know what I mean) ...

I don't want to have to get a new monitor, as mine works perfectly fine...
BTW My Compaq mentioned doesn't boot into Windows(TM) , so I cannot change the display settings for the monitor output..... (I say this, because other forums say WIndows(TM) has a setting for changing the "refresh rate (Hz)" )

How could I fix this problem???

PS. My Compaq also has an S-Video out, but I cannot get that to function, as when I plug it into my TV, it remains blank (yes, It is on the right input)...

Last edited:
Does it display that as soon as you plug it in / turn it on, or are you able to view BIOS/startup settings?

If you can see stuff when it first boots up, press F8 to get to the Advanced Boot Menu after the BIOS splash screen and before the Windows logo would normally load, and choose the "VGA Mode".

Yes, It says that as soon as I plug in the VGA cable..
The screen on my Compaq doesn't work, as I cannot see the BIOS or anything... I tried using an old Windows(TM) VIsta DVD on my Compaq, and it worked fine... The thing is.. When the monitor displays that, I can a see garbled and distorted version of the PC booting into the disk, so I think it automatically went into "VGA Mode"...

PS. My HDD doesn't have an OS on it yet... (Should I use Ubuntu?????)

PPS. If I boot up my Compaq without the Windows(TM) disk in, the monitor doesn't display that message, and stays blank.....

It shouldn't be garbled or distorted, have you tried resetting the monitor?

If the monitor is plugged into the laptop when it's initially turned on, you should see the initial splash screen etc for the PC, is there any point where the text looks clear?

EDIT: Just read your post again, you're not even in Windows so the resolution/refresh rate should be pretty minimal anyway... have you got another monitor you can test with to make sure it's not the laptop causing a problem?

The monitor is ancient, it's probably a good investment to pick up a new one!

Last edited:
No, I do not have another monitor... I cannot get another monitor at the time, as I am only 14... Is there anyway to change the monitor (with the monitor settings) to be compatible with the laptop???

The Compaq's screen simply doesn't display. It was my sisters, but the laptops backlight stopped working, but now the whole screen doesn't work... Should I open up the screen and see if it is connected properly, or something?

The Compaq's screen simply doesn't display. It was my sisters, but the laptops backlight stopped working, but now the whole screen doesn't work... Should I open up the screen and see if it is connected properly, or something?

That would be the first thing I'd check. Can usually get laptop screens pretty cheap, as well.

This is the site I use to get replacement laptop screens: https://www.laptopscreen.com/

Fantastic customer service and quick shipping as well.

Okay, so you have a screen on a laptop which has simply stopped working, and it's appearing to not work with the external monitor either. It's also not working on the TV with different external video cables.

This would indicate something to me that something is wrong with the graphics chipset, you can't be sure though unless you can test with a monitor you know for sure is compatible with the resolution of the laptop, or a new internal display. (though I'd have thought the external monitor you had SHOULD have worked if the laptop was functioning normally.)

The laptop doesn't look worth fixing, especially if it is indeed a chipset issue.

The Gateway monitor specs are:
Image Aspect Ratio
4:3
Native Resolution
1280 x 1024

Can't find anything just by the C500 model for that laptop, there is a more specific number for the laptop on the bottom side sticker, should be some something like "C5XXX(numbers)-XX(letters)
Might help with an on line diagnostic

Back
Top Bottom