gaming on a media center style pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Beta member
I am going to in the next month or two build a new rig. I am starting to look into parts and I am interested in making a media center setup. I like the look of media center cases. Im thinking of setting up this computer like an entertainment system, ie I will be sitting on a couch with wireless keyboard and mouse with the computer on a coffee table. Before I get to the questions I want to point out that I want it to do everything that a normal computer does. I want to do games, movies, 3d animation, internet, everything.

So the question is, are there any warnings for setting up a powerful pc in a media center case? I would have to use a micro atx motherboard. Also Iv noticed that LCD tvs are cheaper for a large screen size compared to regular LCD monitors. besides the heavier weight, are there any disadvantages to using a tv as the monitor? again this computer will be used for everything a normal computer would do including games. Thanks for any advice!

I currently have my old AMD 2400XP with ATI 9800 AIW hooked up to my 27" flat screen... Watching TV on it through the PC is just the same as through the cable box... The bad thing is that at any resolutions above 800x600, the text becomes completly blurry, and un-readable.. I haven't looked too much into HTPC's to see what I can do to remedy the issue, but since it is going to be used only to record TV, I don't care, plus I can remote admin the PC from my desktop.

Anyways... why would you want to make it a media center PC for gaming and animation? I think it would be easier to have 2 seperate rigs for that... you can build a HTPC on the cheap, just need a TV tuner (Hauppage is very nice for these), video out to TV, DVD drive, and thats it...

thankyou for your help! makes sence what you said. I am going to look into how clear a hdtv can get. I just think it would be so nice to combine those needs. Who knows though, maby I will just settle on a large monitor in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom