Gaming Monitor

sjw40364

Baseband Member
Just got conformation that my Alienware Aurora R3 has just shipped, so now need a good monitor to go with it. Of course being that I just ordered an Alienware I don't have a lot left to get an optimal monitor. ;) Any suggestions say in the 20" range? I am thinking LED backlit but finding one with low enough response time <5ms, preferable <3ms that is still affordable is tricky. All the reviews say <3ms, but does anyone have one with a 5ms response time and do you notice ghosting problems?

My problem is I have never had a rig that would pump out more than 30 fps even at the lowest settings, so once I start averaging 80 to 90 fps at high settings, is the ghosting going to become noticeable at a 5ms refresh? My last computer monitor had a 8ms refresh, but I hardly ever average over 20 fps, so I doubt I even came close to the speeds necessary to create ghosting.

nope, I get over 100fps on some games, no ghosting. you'll be fine.

and the thing with 5ms is it's 5/1000th of a second. so, in order to get ghosting, you would need to start getting over 200fps.

Thank you that was my concern, although on reflection I should have said motion blurring, not ghosting, but you realized what I meant.
I am thinking of ordering a LG E2260V 22" LED monitor which has a 5ms refresh rate, 1920x1080, 16:9 aspect ratio and a HDMI input. It seems to have received mostly good reviews from users and I do want a backlit LED and HDMI hookup.
LG E2260V-PN 22 Class Ultra-Slim Widescreen LED Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 5000000:1 Dynamic, 5ms, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Energy Star at TigerDirect.com

wow, that's a great price too. looks good.

motion blur - ghosting, same shit in two piles.

Yah, with the $50 instant rebate it makes it even better. All the other sites I checked are going for $179 to $180 so I thought I better grab it while I could. Plus I think you get an additional $25 manufacturer rebate card if you want to send it in. So basically a $189 monitor for $114 bucks. Already done ordered it :)

There are a few threads that report what they call washed out colors out of the box, but being as how I used to work in the graphics field for printing I am familiar with color calibration, and most say that if you fiddle with it it works fine. Being as how I have had to do this with every monitor when I worked in the printing field so they matched printed colors, such does not worry me. Most people prefer over-saturated colors anyways, and being as I spend "HOURS" gaming, staring at an over-saturated color scheme just wears your eyes out. Color as I have found from working in the printing field is a personal experience, no two people ever see the same thing.

They have a good deal on newegg for an Acer 23" Monitor, grab a few of those puppies while they are on sale!

Got the LG E2260 today. Hooked it up and it looks great out of the box and haven't even played with the color settings yet. Very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom