Games on which harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousepad

In Runtime
Ok, I just bought an external case usb 2.0 for my 120 gb hdd so I could hook it up to my laptop. Now should I run the games on my laptop 80gig 4200 rpm drive or run it through to my 120 7200 rpm? Now I would totally pick my 120 due to the rpm speeds but would there be a downgrade in speed due to the hard drive going through the usb2.0?

Put the games on the 7200 RPM. I'm not sure how fast USB 2.0 is, I think it's pretty fast. My 7200 RPM HDD only reads at about 40-50MBps.

That's what I was thinking, I wasn't sure if the usb 2.0 would cause latency issues or not.

You arent going to get latency issues period because games preload most of the files they need. The only latency problem you might encounter is a bigger or smaller initial load time. Depending on how fast your usb controller is vs the throughput of a slow 4500rpm drive. You can download sisoftsandra from guru3d.com and benchmark both drives.. I'd use whichever is faster (less load = more gaming).

So basically the rpms only affect the speed of loading up the game rather than actual game play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom