Games for linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are ports of Quake 3 for Linux. However, pretty much anything based on the Quake 3 engine will run in Wine quite nicely (seeing how the Q3 engine is fairly portable [easy to rewrite for other OS'es] since it uses OpenGL and other open systems). I play Jedi Academy (based on a modded Q3 engine) on Wine a lot, and it's worked for over a year now. I've also run ioquake3 (Windows) on Wine just fine.

If you're gonna play games on Linux, you probably need to install Wine, it can play a lot of games (of course, many don't work, but there are a bunch that do), and make sure you use OpenGL games if possible.

Cube 2 is pretty fun for a while. Mostly just because of the in-game map editor.

I never really played Warsow too much, but it looks like it might have some potential.

I've heard good things about Nexuiz, like Disillision was saying. Never played it, though.

Frozen Bubble, a bust-a-move clone

FooBillard for some single player OpenGL pool action, heh.

And look into Wolf:ET like I mentioned before. This one continues to be my favorite.

Oh, and it looks like the ET: Quake Wars client was released for Linux. Obviously this one's not gonna be free, but if my computer could run it I probably would have bought it by now.

games that play natively:

Quake 4 and Doom 3 only require an installer which can be found with a bit of searching and the game disc. i can vouch for Quake 4 working great under linux but i have not personally tried Doom 3. Postal 2 was ported to linux. this is what i can think of from the top of my head

with WINE:
i think pretty much all source engine games play pretty well under WINE, including HL2, CS:S and Portals. a ton of older games play well under WINE too. HL and CS1.6 are good....

I've played Cube 2, Tremulous, and Quake 3 natively in Linux, all of which run well if you configure your graphics card properly. Other games like Jedi Academy, Quake 3 Arena (Windows version), and older games such as SimCity 2000 work well in Wine. There are also NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, etc. emulators for Linux as well as basic games (minesweeper, solitaire, tetris, etc) preinstalled on most Linux distros. I also tried Flight Gears, a free flight simulator, but it didn't like my gamepad and I kept crashing.

The GTKRadiant level editor for Quake 3 engine games also has a native Linux port that runs...in my opinion...better than the Windows one, mainly because the Windows one crashes on my laptop at 1600x1200 but the Linux one works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom