Gainward 6600GT Advice

Washington

In Runtime
The Gainward 6600GT 128mb Powerpack! Ultra/1960 TV-DVI AGP is on sale at £99.99 at Ebuyer. Can anybody advise me as to wether this is a good card or not.

It is to replace my ATI 9550 256MB card that I currently have. I seem to be having a problem with Catalyst drivers past version 4.10 so I have to go for an NVIDIA card this time.

So are these cards any good, is there any issues I should be aware of and can I expect there to be a marked improvment compared to my current card? I just want to play GTR FIA with more than the 20 - 25 frames per second I am getting at the moment!

Thanks!

Well I had a look on eBuyer, and I found a 6800LE from Gainward for £99.99 and it's AGP which is what I'm guessing your after. But as regards the 6600GT, it looks a good deal and it will outperform your old ATI in every section!

Thanks for that.

Would the 6800LE be a better option than the 6600GT???

Bearing in mind that I'm not too confident on overclocking cards...

Well I've heard great things about GT versions of the nVidia range, but not so much things about the LE versions. Now this could be good or bad, but I would go with what I know best and get the 6600GT. Before you do that though, seek some advice from more experienced people as they may say the 6800LE is better.

Apologies about not giving you a straight answer, but I don't want you to hand over £100, and then realise that you bought the wrong one.

No thats great. I was thinking the same thing myself as I'm not sure what the 'LE' stands for (Lite Edition?). Could be that a 6600GT is faster than a 6800LE. Bit suspicious about them being the same price.

Thanks for your help.

Well I think that the 6800LE is better than the 6600Gt. But I am not sure so u better wait till someone with more knowledge posts.

Washington, have you looked at their specs at all? I mean, I've just checked them out and well here in my opinion, the 6600GT wins out in all areas. It has a higher core clock speed and memory, and like you said, a 6800 the same price as a 6600GT?? That makes me feel suspicious at it's specs because 6800s are much more expensive than the 6600s.

Hope that helps!

I didn't really get the chance to look properly this morning so no I didn't compare the specs. I'll have a better look tonight when I get home from work. It looks like the 6600GT will be the one I'll go for though. I haven't had any experience of Gainward cards in the past though so I'll have to do some research before I hand over my hard earned.

Unless anybody else knows where I can get a better card from for around a £100?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Washington said:
The Gainward 6600GT 128mb Powerpack! Ultra/1960 TV-DVI AGP is on sale at £99.99 at Ebuyer. Can anybody advise me as to wether this is a good card or not.

It is to replace my ATI 9550 256MB card that I currently have. I seem to be having a problem with Catalyst drivers past version 4.10 so I have to go for an NVIDIA card this time.

So are these cards any good, is there any issues I should be aware of and can I expect there to be a marked improvment compared to my current card? I just want to play GTR FIA with more than the 20 - 25 frames per second I am getting at the moment!

Thanks!

Haha, Catalyst. So many people's been having problems with that. Don't worry though. Once you switch over to the all powerful Nvidia graphic boards, drivers will not be an issue. Just remember if you install new drivers as they come out, delete the older display adapter (older driver versions in Control Panel), and install the new Nvidia display drivers.

The 6600GT is a great performer for the price. IMO, it is the minimum you should get. There are no issues with the 6600GT, they are just built too good.

Totally agree with what TRDCorolla said :) I used to have a Radeon X800 Pro and the drivers for that drove me up the wall. Considering they are supposed to solve and update problems on your graphics card (or make it perform slightly better), they tend to cause so many problems. Haha, nVidia are wiping the floor with ATI at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom