Gaffa tape taken a step too far?

berry120

Fully Optimized
Found this on another forum I trawl round regularly... I know it's wonderful stuff but still...

airplanewingheldtogetherducttape.jpg

Thats really scary. i remember i took a flight form my grandpas in Reno to Pheonix (where i live) and i sat in the seats by the left wing and just watching it shake and everything just looks so unstable its scary

^ That's a good thing. It needs to be flexible in order to take all that impact. If it didn't move at all, then I'd be worrying.

Think of it like a stainless steel knife. If it got mass produced and cooled of extremely quickly, the metal will have a brittle molecular structure. If you cool, reheat, and so on, shaping it perfectly as you go along, the knife we be far more durable than the mass produced one. Same thing goes for an airplane. If the metal used for the aircraft has a brittle molecular structure, your aircraft will be prone to "snapage".

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. if it moves that means things are lose? which is bad?

Naw.... Its flexing. The wing spars (both of them) are solid pieces of metal. No joints in the spars. Think of it like bending your legs when you make an impact. It certainly makes it hurt a lot less. Same principal here.

And FYI, that isn't duct tape. Its aviation-grade aluminum tape designed to do that. And even if it did fail, its only a winglet which slightly improves fuel economy and reduces a drag a little. Does almost nothing to keep the plane in the air.

Naw.... Its flexing. The wing spars (both of them) are solid pieces of metal. No joints in the spars. Think of it like bending your legs when you make an impact. It certainly makes it hurt a lot less. Same principal here.

And FYI, that isn't duct tape. Its aviation-grade aluminum tape designed to do that. And even if it did fail, its only a winglet which slightly improves fuel economy and reduces a drag a little. Does almost nothing to keep the plane in the air.

principle* ;)

Very knowledgeable! And right on the spot. If any structure is to have force applied on it, it needs to have flex and tension.

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. if it moves that means things are lose? which is bad?

Think of it like a rubber band. If it's stiff it's very breakable. If it's stretchy, it's much harder to break it.

But I am highly suspicious about this picture.. I am doubting that it is just normal duct tape.

It is probably a weather guard that is protecting a high strength epoxy from the elements.

EDIT:

Well there you are. I should have read the other posts..

EDIT:

Well there you are. I should have read the other posts..[/QUOTE]

Nice...:p

Back
Top Bottom