G80 taped out with 32 pixel pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so are you saying that when we run Half-Life 2 in DX8 mode, it is not a DX9 game?

Bahh, I don't care either way. I like OpenGL.

But its still a DX9 game...

I get what you are saying though.

Doom 3 isn't a DirectX game. Neither is UT2k4. And UT2k7 won't be either. :)

I know what you mean too, but they had to code the entire DX8 version of the game in DX8 to make it DX8 compatible.

True, the game itself that you buy off the shelf is a "DX9" game, but when you start running it in DX8, you're not running the game at what you're supposed to. Its 'a little extra' that the coders do to make that group of people happy.

So HL2 IS a DX9 game, when being run in DX9. But it turns into a completely DX8 game when run in DX8. Just like Crysis is a DX10 game by default, but will turn into a DX9 game without any DX10 features for those that only have DX9 cards.

o_O Cyrsis has crazy insane graphics, I saw screenshots. I'm thorougly impressed. Maybe DirectX is catching up with OpenGL, quality wise. We'll see, I may have to get Vista and a new video card. :)

I highly doubt that games are going to just jump over to DX 10 very shortly though. it will take time.
and by that time, a lot of people will have DX 10 cards anyway.

I agree, Apokalipse, but Crysis is coming out very early and already supports DX10. I would've backed you up strongly on that before, but such an early introduction of a DX10 game is staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom