Future of Programming? (2 Q's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veilside350z

Solid State Member
1. I have been thinking about this a lot. What does the future look like for programmers? I mean, there are already companies that have software that allow consumers to do most of the things we need to already like Microsoft office, tax paying software, business software, so why would programmers be needed in the future to make new software that does the same things. To me, it looks as if its mostly going to be reusing and upgrading software to make it better because why would we need 2 different software that does the same thing? Why make a second microsoft office when it would be better to upgrade the one we have now?

2.What about programming for entertainment? I think for desktop software it might be more of reusing and upgrading but for example, the video game industry, I think programming will always be new because there are always different types of ideas for video games. Sure the game engines might be reused or upgraded, but eventually, a new company will come out with a different game engine to give players a different experience then the previous company. Thats not how it works in desktop software, unless a company might want to make their own Microsoft office with a "different experience", but what would be the point of that?

I know I kind of got onto a different subject from 1 to 2, but my question overall is, what will programming in the future be like (consider all the different industries)?

As computers evolve, its software abilities evolve as well. I believe that programmers will be busy for a long time as they develop new applications to take advantage of future computer technologies.

What does the future look like for programmers? I mean, there are already companies that have software that allow consumers to do most of the things we need to already like Microsoft office, tax paying software, business software, so why would programmers be needed in the future to make new software that does the same things.
You're assuming that software developers only create commercial desktop software. Software developers create software for many other platforms, like the web, cell phones, automobiles, aircraft, dvd players, televisions, microwave ovens, home automation, custom embedded systems, etc. Even in the desktop software world, much of the software that is developed is custom built for companies to use internally, and sometimes externally (like point of sale software).

Thats not how it works in desktop software, unless a company might want to make their own Microsoft office with a "different experience", but what would be the point of that?
Competition for a superior product.

I know I kind of got onto a different subject from 1 to 2, but my question overall is, what will programming in the future be like (consider all the different industries)?
It will be about using current technology to solve problems, just like it has been since the 1950's.

Interesting question no doubt. The current architecture will be passed up before we know it and all the languages that are being used now will be long gone. Not saying this will happen over night, but once new technology arrives we all embrace it and say goodbye to the past. When you look at the web today compared to 10 years ago we have not made too many advancements IMHO. Just more fluff.
A lot depends on the companies investments into the computers of tomorrow as well. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. So I guess programming will continue to grow and change for a long time as new technology comes along. That is interesting because I think technology will still go a long way which means programming will also continue to grow.

^programming will be usefull for all of our technology that runs on a circuit board or simeler type of system mate. Medical technology, military technology, consumer tech, the list is practically endless. Everything needs some type of instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom