Future career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I never expected this to be the sort of place to pursue career advice, but here goes:
So, I'm 16, in the UK and just nearing the end of Yr11, i.e. my GCSE year. I'm likely to get a few A*s, a few As and mostly Bs. I totally love everything technical, computer-based and electronic. I'm not interested in making a lot of money, just a decent living. I'm reasonably intelligent, hard-working and rather charming :)
My mum is a senior computing lecturer at a Uni near me, so I have a vast vault of knowledge there.
What sort of job should I be looking for?

- Yami

P.S. I'll be going into sixth form, not totally sure what subjects.

It all depends on what you really love doing and mostly have fun learning on certain subjects. I am mostly into custom computers, troubleshooting hardware/software, and occasionally work on networks for several company's. So i just became a normal PC technician, as for you there is many career paths to choose. Just search around and see whats the best interest you have in.

I would love to become a PC technician, or maybe open a comp shop? Good job security there, like plumbing. Even in a recession, people need plumbers. Not quite the same, I know, but you get the idea :p I mean, 9/10 people don't even know what RAM is other than as a number on their spec sheet, let alone how to install it.

True if your going to open a shop and if it works out that would be a awesome career for you, but just being a regular tech you will not make as much money compared to Network admins or other network jobs. Me and my friends might open are own tech shop and see how it goes but there is always risk doing that, if you have the knowledge in networks / servers more the mirier and better income as well.

Networking, as well as network administrators, are a good way to go. System Administrators are similar, but deal more with software/hardware issues than a NetAdmin.

If you have a hand for programming, be sure to get some older languages in, as there is a huge demand for them. Most are taking the newer languages (and these should not be ignored), but there are so many programs out there written in older languages that need to be maintained and upgraded/patched. As these programmers retire, there is no one to take their place.

Networking, as well as network administrators, are a good way to go. System Administrators are similar, but deal more with software/hardware issues than a NetAdmin.

If you have a hand for programming, be sure to get some older languages in, as there is a huge demand for them. Most are taking the newer languages (and these should not be ignored), but there are so many programs out there written in older languages that need to be maintained and upgraded/patched. As these programmers retire, there is no one to take their place.

I was a System Administrator before and i started doing to much paper work and felt like more of a desk job and answering phones so i stepped down the position and became a PC Technician. It was a good experience with the management and all but it did not feel right for me, but gaining experience in all levels are great way to improve.

Me and my friends might open are own tech shop and see how it goes
I have a few friends here who I've talking about the same with :)

Trotter said:
If you have a hand for programming, be sure to get some older languages in
I'm okay with programming I guess, I mean I don't really have much experience but I've done some HTML/XML. Nothing useful, I guess :p
But yeah, I'd like to get around to learning a couple of programming languages.

Got two and a half of 'em (VB, Java, and Javascript - stlll learning the basics with the latter). Even though they are different, the object-oriented concepts among some other things seem similar, at least to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom