Friggen Server Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
So I just set up my sever, Windows 2003 Enterprise. During the install, it froze quite a few times but I eventually got through it. Now my problem is, it keeps on crashing after I log in! It's a pain in the ass, because it is my DHCP and I cannot go on the internet when it is not on. Think maybe there is osmething wrong with the drives? I have 4 IDE 60GB drives in Raid 0+1. I also am running an AMD 2100+ with 1GB Kingston ValueRAM (2x512 non dual channel). At idle, it is at 129F. Think that is too hot? I do. I know the RAM has no errors, I ran memtest86 on those sticks for 120hours and nothing. Any suggestions?

Turn off the restart on blue screen option (I'm not sure where this is in server 2003) then see what error is causing the crash.

My guess is something went awry during the install since like you said it locked up many times.

Well the thing is it is not restarting, it just crashes and locks up. It sucks because, well, it sucks. My other computer seems to be crashing an awful lot as well, it just got really hot out here, so I'm thinking that maybe they are overheating. How is 129F on an AMD Athalon 2100+?

Sounds like a crummy windows install, happens with old cd's

Try ripping the CD to your harddrive, and reburn it :)

Thats about 53C which isnt bad at all considering all the stuff you have packed in there. What kind of envi is it? How many users/PC's connecting to the DHCP server. If it is crucial perhaps you can assign the DHCP role to another backup server until you can get this machine sorted out. If the install wouldnt even work correctly than you could almost count on the machine not being stable. Perhaps an issue with the RAID config? Legal copy of 2003 serv right?

Also if it is a smaller network (under 50 users) perhaps you can role out manual IP addresses until you get this server fixed this way they can contact the default gateway and DNS servers and connect to the internet.

Afew thintgs you can try, if it will help.
I had a issue with a mates PC locking up, put some more thermalpaste on the CPU and that helped a bit, he ended upgetting a new CPU heatsink and fan (big arse one) and its ok, another thing you can try is disable onboard sound and any other cards you have and see if that helps.

It is a legal copy.

It is a very small network, no more than 5 users. I have a router acting as the DHCP, but in order to get things working right we had to config the server as the dhcp and turn it off on the router. Right now I'm back to using the router as my dhcp.

I have boiled it down to it being just too damn hot. It was absolutely miserable the other night, and the computer that I have right next to it (Intel 2.4 Watercooled) kept crashing because of the heat as well. I bought this server from a friend of mine who has two machine almost exactly the same, mine being one of them. He kept having problems with his machine overheating, on the hottest days of the year, and threw an Asus big fan on there and it solved the whole crisis. I had words with him, and he is going to grab me one of those, and hopefull that will work. I'm also going to try a new install, and use Chris's idea of ripping it to the hdd and reburning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom