Friend VS. Mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is a good one, He had me research about it since I carry a laptop to school and can get onto the internet, and i can't really find anything on the matter.

This morning he was getting coffee from a local gas station, and when he pulled out of the parking lot the coffee jumped out of the cupholder and landed on his backpack, so he "naturally" leaned over to pick it up so it didnt destroy his video camrea which was inside of it, and when he looked back up he was halfway off the road, then his mirror hit a mailbox. he said he was already running late for school as it was, so he didnt have time to go and tell the home owners, and has had his insurance (on his fathers policy) for one week exactly.

Which makes me wonder aswell, What charges can be applied to a driver if they accidentaly take down a mailbox? he said it only tore the box off the pole, and the pole is still intact. Should he just stop by the house when school gets out and tell the homeowners? there was no damage to the car or pole, it just took the box off of the pole.

Stop by and be extra nice to the homeowner offering to fix it and pay for any damages blah blah very sorry. Making a claim in the UK is a headache and will shove up the premium should be the same in the US.

Yeah, were in california, united states (north america).

What were gonna do (because he is flat broke) is get about $50 and go down to the house (on bikes of course, so they dont see either his truck or my car) and offer to replace the mailbox, go and get a new one, put it on for him, address and stickers included, and just call it good. We both believe in karma, and after a little researching, we discovered that taking a mailbox out on purpouse is a felony, but there is no information on doing it by accident, so were just gonna play it safe and do the "right thing" rather than having him cited for a hit and run, which technically is what he did.

It's just a mail box. It's not like the car when off the road and into the front door of the house.

This reminds me of when I scratched someone's car while parallel parking at school. I just decided to park somewhere else

Definitely offer to replace it, karma or not. Taking out a mailbox is a big no-no. Trust me... they ain't cheap. Thankfully I live at the end of a dead end road, but I have had to replace them at other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom