Friend facepalm

PP Mguire

Build Guru
So my friend likes to get high and send me stupid messages about his PC theories. How Apple and Microsoft are going to burn, and that ARM is going to take over because x86 is going nowhere and such. How he can't put a PC in his head, but an ARM based device he will eventually be able to meld with. Oh god. :rolleyes:

lolwut.jpg

So my friend likes to get high and send me stupid messages about his PC theories. How Apple and Microsoft are going to burn, and that ARM is going to take over because x86 is going nowhere and such. How he can't put a PC in his head, but an ARM based device he will eventually be able to meld with. Oh god. :rolleyes:

To be fair ARM is going from strength to strength. ARM performance is getting considerably stronger all the time, x86 has slowed down a lot to barely 10 to 15% performance gain a year clock for clock. Mainly due to a shift in Intels focus.

And in a world where people care more and more about power per watt it isn't exactly an absurd statement to say ARM are in a good position to gain considerable market share.

The data center for the company I work for is already in talks with our HQ about transitioning to an ARM based server.

To be fair ARM is going from strength to strength. ARM performance is getting considerably stronger all the time, x86 has slowed down a lot to barely 10 to 15% performance gain a year clock for clock. Mainly due to a shift in Intels focus.

And in a world where people care more and more about power per watt it isn't exactly an absurd statement to say ARM are in a good position to gain considerable market share.

The data center for the company I work for is already in talks with our HQ about transitioning to an ARM based server.

It's easy for arm to improve because they were so slow to start with they haven't reached the point of diminishing returns that Intel has.

I think Haswell will be the architecture to kill arm in the high end market, you will be able to get a Core i5 with the same tdp as Exynos 5250 and many times the cpu and gpu performance.

Remember that arm's best can barely beat a 2008 Atom and even then that was slow for a x86 cpu.

It's easy for arm to improve because they were so slow to start with they haven't reached the point of diminishing returns that Intel has.

I think Haswell will be the architecture to kill arm in the high end market, you will be able to get a Core i5 with the same tdp as Exynos 5250 and many times the cpu and gpu performance.

Remember that arm's best can barely beat a 2008 Atom and even then that was slow for a x86 cpu.
This.

Not to mention, Intel has no real competition so they don't need that drive to push for better and better. While AMD is still muttling around with the same socket year for year Intel decided to go the less power consumption route which IMO makes them even better. Hypothetically if they released a 6 core variant of Haswell it should take less power than IB-E with a 10% increase over it. That would be amazing, but of course they won't do that. Even still, it's much better than the competition so why bother going for all out power? A 55w quad core that beats a 3770k with an even better IGP that competes with an APU is quite worth it.

Usually he hot boxes himself in his basement room but sometimes he takes some weird synthetics, drinks a ton of wine, then wants to talk his version of tech with me. He did this at Quakecon with some group of people out in the smoking area. It was rather hilarious.

My main point of this was his ridiculous claims which I thought was hilarious enough to share here.

Back
Top Bottom