Friend dead at 17

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Usually this stuff is personal; but I think everyone can take something from this kids life.

One of my good friends passed away on January 6th. His memorial service was held today on his birthday. He passed peacefully in his sleep from an aneurysm; something very rare for his age.

He was an artist, a rebel. Personally I always use to think of him as a kid who refused to conform. When he moved down to Florida, all the kids at his new school started wearing bandannas like him, so he stopped. He always wanted to stand out; no matter what. One time downtown on a plain ordinary day, he bought a blue speedo and walked around downtown in it. He pretended to be a German tourist asking people stupid questions. I'll always remember him.

What can you guys learn from some random kid you never met? At the service a poem he wrote was read. And perhaps the most moving line, the line that sums up my friend the best was:

"What I utterly fear most is a life half-lived."

Don't take anything for granted. Trust me. Not to scare you, but everyday might just be your last. Don't leave things for tomorrow that you want to do today. If you think a girl is pretty, ask her out. If you want to spend more time with your family, skip school and go to the movies with your dad. Everyday is a gift from god.

wow, sorry for your loss.
i agree with that statement though. life should be lived to the full, although i use that excuse too much sometimes :p

Oh, damn... I am very sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and all who knew him.

It is really sad to see someone die this young, and it really does make you wonder what can happen to you in the near future. Me, only being 16, still have quite a lot to see in life, but I know what can happen. You just never know when.

My mom had a double heart bypass a year ago, and she has yet to fully recover. She still does her job as a nurse at an assisted living place, but because she went back to work about 6 weeks after her surgery, she hasn't had time to fully recover. She is in constant pain. I wish there was something I could do for her, to make things better, but I just can't. Theres so many things I want to do for her. Its just too hard for me to even think.

There is also my dad. He died on June 2nd, 2006 from lung cancer. I remember that day. It was the worst day of my life. I was really close to my dad. He taught me a lot of what I know today. Most of my knowledge of computers, appliances (TV, washer, clothes drier, etc...) and vehicles comes from him. I did grow up telling him how much I appreciated him, but when the time came for him, I had trouble letting what I wanted to say to him out. He knew, though.

What you said in your last sentences is so true. I should go out and spend more time with my mom, maybe even get to know her boyfriend (possible future step-dad) better. Start taking better care of myself. Stop thinking about this one girl I have no chance with and actually think about other ones. I have somewhat of a complicated life.

Thank you for the inspiration in the last parts of that post, I needed it. Again, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

just goes to show you. no ones life is simple ^
god wouldnt make it that easy for us.
just got to make the most of it i guess

im sorry for your lose and i no how you feel my friend killed him self
and even no there unlike situations the message is the same... never take life for nothing, never let drugs and hate consume you
because then ether buy you or buy something else death will come
and it will come at a time when it shouldn't have

Sometimes, we all need to share personal things with communities like this one. We all see the ordinary talk about politics, dating, and other day to day things: however, we fail to remember what is important in life.

I'm 23 years of age, and i've lost eight childhood friends from the time I graduated high school in the year of 2003. Yes, it is alot more death than most have seen for someone my age, but it makes me appreciate the small things. We never know when the day will be our last.

I'm still friends with the remainder of my childhood friends who are still living. We have formd what we have considered to be a clan, and it is very large. We protect one another and have a structure of ranks to keep things in line. We are all like family, and if there is ever a problem, we all do our best to help one another out.

Right now, two more of them have been declared terminally ill. We had a reunion two weeks ago and are doing many more activities to spend as much time with these two as possible. We have a memorial service coming up on the 27th for those who have died so far since all the childhood friends that died were mutual to the clan.

thanks for your sentimental post today. It is so sad that it takes a tragedy to make one appreciate the little things in life.

Oh thats sad. Ive been where your at now, I moved house and away from my best friend then my dad past away and I went into seclusion for a Little while, while this was going on my best friend got mixing with the wrong people (drugs) and his little brother got beaten up because he owed money so he committed suicide, I was never told till about 6months later because they did not feel I was in the right frame of mind to deal with it, I was gutted but still think of him even now 11 years later. I'm so sorry for your loss and his family.

Wow thats so sad indeed, especially to have an aneurysm at his age.

Its a great reminder for us all that you cannot take anything for granted. Live life to the full

That is so sad. Usually when we think of death we think of only the very old. It is so easy to forget that life is a precious gift that should not be taken for granted at any age. Tragic events like this remind us that even young people are not indestructible.

I can definitely relate to your friend's poem. When I was 12, I almost died from a paralyzing disease. I was bedridden for several months too weak to even lift a baton. After lots of treatments and much IV therapy, I slowly started getting better. Today, I am completely healthy, but the near-death experience brought my brothers and I much closer to God and each other. No longer do we take life for granted. No longer do we fight with each other and our parents like we did before. We now share a very special relationship with each other. I now strive to do my very best in everything I do, and focus on what is most important in my life.

My thoughts and prayers will be with your friend's family. Your post is very thought provoking. Life should be lived to the fullest. Again, I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Back
Top Bottom