Fried my motherboard...

Transit1

Beta member
Well, I bought an eMachine T6420, and about 2 months ago I decided to buy a new video card and power supply. I purchased a BFG Tech 7600 GT OC and a Thermaltake 430W Power Supply. I installed both myself, and it worked like a charm.

Anyways, about two weeks ago I come home and I notice that my monitor isn't getting a signal from my new video card. I unplug the monitor cable from the new video card and plug it back into integrated video card.

A few minutes later I remove the new video card, uninstall the drivers, and try to reinstall it. It seemed like it would work, I was getting a signal, but my hopes were smashed when the screen showed a bunch of messed up windows logos.

I tried to turn the computer off via the power button on the front, but after holding that for about 30 seconds nothing happend. I then turned off the power from the new power supply and unplugged the power cord. When I turned it back on, the computer would start up for one second, then shut off.

I sent my tower to the emachine repair depot, and it should be back in a week, but my question is, should I get my power supply and video card replaced? Or will they work with the new motherboard from emachines?

Wow, that's good news. I don't think your motherboard is fried if you can boot normally using the integrated video controller from it. It might be a bad video card. Your power supply should be adequate to run that video card and more.

Well no, my motherboard IS fried. I thought you were referring to before I sent it in. But yeah, I had no problems when I switched it to the integrated video card. So I'm guessing that I need to get my video card replaced...sigh.

So would it be better to just have the video card and power supply replaced together? Or will the new power supply still work?

The reason I ask about the power supply is that i'm not sure if the motherboard frying will have any affect on the power supply...I don't really know much about computer hardware so sorry if this question seems obvious

If it's a good power supply you have, it should have shut down by itself if there is a surge or short from the motherboard or other devices. I wouldn't replace the power supply just yet.

Back
Top Bottom