Fried my cpu, sad and embarassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomPrecision

Beta member
The story:
I (had) an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Socket A processor and an Asrock K7VT4A motherboard, but I've decided to replace my motherboard with a newer one due to various hardware issues.
Went to the store and picked up a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L motherboard (all they had in stock), took out the old mobo and put in the new one.

Apparently, in my excitement, it seems I forgot to re-apply some thermal paste when I installed my CPU into the new mobo, and when I booted the computer, I heard a crackle and it started to smell, at which point I shut the whole thing off.

I'm fairly certain my processor is wrecked now :confused:

The questions:
1) You guys think the new mobo still works? The CPU was the only thing blazing, and I don't think the motherboard was affected.

2) Any suggestions on a replacement CPU & mobo? Actually I mostly need opinions on which motherboard would work best. I'm going to pick up a 64bit processor. I checked my tech shop and my options for 64bit CPUs and mobos are:

CPU: Socket 939, AMD Athlon64 3000+ or 3200+ or 3500+ 64bit (The 3200 is 10$ more and the 3500 is 30$ more. Is it worth it?)

Motherboard: Asus A8V or MSI K8T Neo2-F V2.0

I'm forced to stick to these two motherboards because I'm not running a PCIe video card, I need an AGP slot.

Man, I'm ashamed of myself.
Any help, opinions or advice would be appreciated.

I don't think the thermal paste is the problem. Usually, the computer won't continue to run if the CPU temperature is too high.

I dont think its the cpu either. As long as you properly installed the HSF onto the cpu, it shouldnt overheat. Like CrazeD said, the thermal over ride protection would kick in before.

What you might check is your power supply. Are you sure you hooked everything up correctly?

Hmm.. I read somewhere that AMD doesn't have an overheat protection feature. It'll just keep running until it melts down. I know that Intel does indeed shut down, but I thought AMD ran untill the bitter end.

Alright, so if it's not the CPU, you figure I oughta check the PSU? How would you suggest testing it to see if it's faulty?

Wow. If my CPU is still good, you can't believe how glad I'll be. That'll save me a lot of trouble and money.

So, that's cool.
I took everything out from my computer and the only thing left in the case is the power supply. Is there any way I can test it to see if it's working properly?

Why don't you put the cpu back in the other board and see if it will boot, To best way to test a psu is to try another one. It is probley the new board that is toast.

FlashDude said:
Why don't you put the cpu back in the other board and see if it will boot, To best way to test a psu is to try another one. It is probley the new board that is toast.

So are you saying my new motherboard is wrecked, or that my PSU is wrecked?

And you're all confident that my CPU is still working, right?

Sorry to ask these questions but it's an odd situation.

Oh yeah, I don't know if it's helpful, but when I booted the computer and it crackled, it smelled similar to when you fire a cap-gun. Don't know if that's the smell of CPU, motherboard or PSU.

FlashDude said:

You didn't answer my question!, Try the cpu in the old board

Well if the power supply is faulty, I'm not very well going to boot my computer up again, regardless of the motherboard. Last I heard, faulty power supplys don't mix well with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom