Friday only - ADSL DROPOUTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallace

Baseband Member
I am running XP/SP2.
On Friday when I logged on to my ADSL broadband all was fine, then after about an hour the connection dropped out. I could reconnect, but all day it intermittently dropped out at all different time spans. I rang my ISP - they spent over two hours troubleshooting with me on the phone doing what I was advised to do. They came up with the fact that they had upgraded their line service to there customers and for me to take advantage of those upgrades I would need to upgrade the DRIVERS on my D-Link 200 ADSL MODEM. They sent me the upgraded Drivers via my email, but with their guidance and after uninstalling the existing drivers from 'Add and Remove' the new drivers would not install.

I was then told to ring D-Link and tell them of my problem and ask for help to install the upgraded drivers using the software sent to my by my ISP. The technician at my ISP then guided me to reinstall my original drivers so at least I could get onto the internet until I could get help from D-Link. As it was late in the day, I decided to do this on Saturday morning/yesterday. So I booted up yesterday, was able to connect to the internet, and for 15 hours until I logged off I did not loose connection to the net. Not a thing went wrong. So of course I did not ring D-Link, there was no reason for the call. My question is - Why did this happen? Also this morning/Sunday not a problem. If someone could offer an explanation for this mystery I would be most grateful.

Maybe all it needed was a new IP lease. With dynamic IP, sometime two customer can have the same address, one of them would get disconnected while the other is on.

"Maybe all it needed was a new IP lease. With dynamic IP, sometime two customer can have the same address, one of them would get disconnected while the other is on."

Thanks for your interest, but here in Australia no one has the same address as another - I have had my details with the same ISP for years - I appreciate your reply., but in this case there is another mystery to my experience last Friday ~ but some good news, all is well at the moment, no dropouts at all. :)

its probably when the lease expires.. (nothing to do with two peopel on the same IP)

unless you have a static IP, then your modem has a lease period for your IP address from your ISP. it might be a one week lease and expires on friday...

Again thanks for your input - We here in Australia don't have that setup - go to < www.tpg.com.au > view the broadband plans and you will understand how we work. Mine is the Residential Broadband 512/128 monthly for $49.95 paid direct debit. With other research I think either Telstra (telephone company) or the ISP (TPG) itself were doing maintenance and that is what caused my problem. ISP'S are loathe to admit they may have caused any problem I am told and to get an answer from Telstra would not be worth the effort...........All has been fine since Saturday morning, not one dropout. It really points to either Telstra or TPG.
Thanks again, really appreciate your time.

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/ip_addressing.php

Looks like you are assigned a certain number of static IP numbers with your account so you are not being assigned them via DHCP therefore releasing and renewing your ip will have not solve anything. Basic troubleshooting in this case is to ensure that you have internet connectivity (ping yahoo.com for example). If you you get a reply then you have connectivity and the problem is something else (often DNS for example). If not, well... follow basic network connectivity troubleshooting steps.

According to that page, it looks they the static IP's are just an optional part of the service, like most services here... I would assume the generic broadband they provide is DHCP unless static IP address is ordered.

Additional IP addresses
NOTE: Only customers on Static IP Plan are eligible to apply for additional IP Addresses.

Yes I looked again, you are right. Belay my last if he did not select a static ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom