freeze problem ....

fsteyer

Baseband Member
Hallo: a while ago my system started freezing up. The image just sits there but nothing responds, not even ctrl-alt-del. This can happen after hours or after a few minutes. I have Norton and webroot installed an run a sweep every day.
Any help in how I could possibly troubleshoot this issue is greatly appreciated.

Dell dim 2350, Pentium 4, 1.5 ram, win xp sp2, I have an addition slave hdd.

thanks

I would run spyware checks in case there's some dodgy things on your computer that are slowing it down. Use a program like Spybot search and destroy or Ad-aware

If that doesn't work, Have you installed any new hardware/software? Does it lock up all the time or just when your doing a specific thing?

Have you tried booting into safe mode or run any HD diagnostic tools on the drive? Try getting into safe mode and run a virus check/ spyware check if nothing is found and your drive checks out okay. Try running a checkdisk and seeing if any files are corrupt. If you find a corrupt file and windows can't repair it you can try doing a windows repair if that does nothing I suggest a reformat.

Thanks for the replies.

It happens usually when the system is idle. I have hibernate, etc. disabled. No screen savers are on. I run virus and spy/ad programs on a daily basis and nothing could be found. Could a bad slave HD cause the issue?
Thanks again ...

I think follwing will solve the issue,

1. Increase virtual RAM
2. Disable all un necessary services
3. Run onle one anti virus program
4. Use Avira anti virus
5. Use windows default them not the XP theam
6. check in task manager which is the process taking highest memory.

Check if it helps.

Thanks for all the replies. I figured it out. It was BOINC Seti @ Home that did it.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom