Frank Herbert's Dune

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
So who is a fan? Personally, I think this is the greatest SF novel ever written. I can read it again, and again, and again, and still discover something new.

Who's looking forward to the 2010 movie?

Love it, read most of the others, didn't know they were making a new movie, though. Cool.

So who is a fan? Personally, I think this is the greatest SF novel ever written. I can read it again, and again, and again, and still discover something new.

Yes.

Who's looking forward to the 2010 movie?
OMG! My reply has to be this

Are they doing a Theatical Movie? or is this going to be another Hallmark thing continuing on where Children Of Dune left off.

Dune is one of thsoe unverses where I would love to see an MMORPG of. However I see that it will have the same problem that Star Wars Galaxies in that you will be locked into one part of time line with no or little progression on the storyline for worldly events.

Dune is one of the first real scifi books I've ever read and I love it to death, especially the first book. I had no idea they were making a new theatrical movie, though. I hope it's better than that 1980s abortion that came out a while back. This is a novel that is possibly more epic than a LOTR book and deserves to be a 3-4 hour movie. If it turns into another 2 hour CGI fest I'll refuse to go see it.

I would also love an MMORPG of Dune. It's a universe that fits perfectly into that genre. If the movie turns out to be a hit I think we may see one, a la LOTR Online.

I can't decide whether the Dune saga or the Foundation saga is the better sci fi series; both are extremely deep and groundbreaking for their time. Although I would tend to learn towards Foundation.

Has anyone here actually read the entire Dune saga, including the new books? The new books might be the biggest pieces of trash I have ever read --- and if all the rumors/statements are true about them basing the new books off of Herbert's notes then I definitely respect the Dune series less ... although I bet nothing will ever be proven.

Dune. Arakis. Desert Planet.

I've been a fan of that stuff since 8th grade. I did a book report on Dune. I had to read an excerpt from it, and (this being in WV) everyone hated me because it went on too long and they didn't have the brain capacity, nor the awesomeness to understand what I was talking about.

By the by, awesomeness does not show up as misspelled in Firefox. That is the epitome of awesomeness.

Has anyone here actually read the entire Dune saga, including the new books? The new books might be the biggest pieces of trash I have ever read --- and if all the rumors/statements are true about them basing the new books off of Herbert's notes then I definitely respect the Dune series less ... although I bet nothing will ever be proven.

I haven't read the whole saga but I worked through most of the new ones when they came out. They were decidely poor in comparison but I think Frank herbert had set the bar so high it was inevitable. The back story was kind of cool but they felt like a chore to read.

BY FAR the best sci-fi book ever written. although, i have yet to read the foundation trilogy. i have it, just haven't ever read it lol. i guess i will now, if it compares to dune.
i have read every book in the entire series, including the newer books. some of them i have read twice. the original series i have read 3 times. so yes, i am a fan. i think the newer books were well written, myself. i appreciated all of the background info, certainly in "the machine crusade". that book was frikkin awesome, man. but, nothing beats the original series, especially the first three books. chapterhouse was a little different, but i liked it. i thought the sci-fi channel versions of the books were well done. they followed the books almost word for word. the movie in the 80's with sting was horrible. i mean HORRIBLE. GIGANTE HORRIBLE. the movie coming out will probably rock. i am also looking forward to seeing the new star trek movie and terminator:salvation. seeing as how i get to the movies about twice a year, my selections seem to be rather easy.

Re: He who controls the spice controls the universe!!!!!

Dune is one of the first real scifi books I've ever read and I love it to death, especially the first book. I had no idea they were making a new theatrical movie, though. I hope it's better than that 1980s abortion that came out a while back.

I did not mind the 1984 movie. Have you see the extended version of it? Like the movie is a little dated, but I still liked it.

This is a novel that is possibly more epic than a LOTR book and deserves to be a 3-4 hour movie. If it turns into another 2 hour CGI fest I'll refuse to go see it.
What dune really need is some one to do a proper 24 part TV series of it. With the amount of stuff that needs to be covered you can easily do about feww season with.

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune
Hunters of Dune
Sandworms of Dune

Agreed, a proper Dune series would be awesome. I've only read up to Children of Dune but already there is certainly a lot to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom