Framework Silverlight

MimiPT

Beta member
I people! Firstly, i'm sorry but my English is not the best because i'm from Portugal. :eek:
I am a Computer Engineering student and within a discipline Programming Methodologies III, I am conducting a research about the framework Silverlight.
I've done a search on this subject but I was not very clear. Silverlight Framework is a platform that incorporates videos, animations and interactive interfaces with the user, is it? And what are the advantages and disadvantages over other identical software? By the way, that would indicate to me some useful links that can help me on this issue. I would appreciate greatly that could help me! :)

Silverlight is kinda like flash or shockwave plugins. It just helps web browsers to play videos and such. The only thing I really know that uses Silverlight is Netflix streaming. I doubt that's the only thing that uses it, but that's the only thing I've ever used with it.

Microsoft Silverlight

Silverlight, flash, shockwave, applets - all basically dead with the release of HTML5, really sped along by the fact Apple don't really let you use any such plugins in their browsers (so HTML5 is the only option in this case.) It's also more standards compliant, less fraught with potential security problems, and with most browsers these days faster too.

Granted, there are some things that HTML5 can't do (yet) that the plugin based models can, but as it develops I'd expect those few remaining gaps to be filled also.

You could search for: +"rich internet application" comparison

I also found an interesting paper, comparing Adobe Flex, JavaFX, and Microsoft Silverlight.

Careful with those sorts of things - in this case the age makes that paper pretty much redundant:

Behind the development of the specification are representatives from both Google and Apple,
and the goal of HTML 5 is to move the Web away from proprietary technologies such as
plugin#based RIA frameworks. HTML 5 will definitely be able to compete with Flex,
Silverlight and JavaFX, and could make these plugins appear unnecessary. It will take time for
HTML 5 to get established and penetrate the market though, and at the time of writing,
experts at both Microsoft and Adobe think that a major breakthrough lies 5#10 years into the
future. !Krill, 2009"

It's taken much less than the projected 10 years, and HTML5 is now fully supported by all major browsers - hence my original claim that they're now no longer really necessary.

Back
Top Bottom