FPS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravecord

Beta member
Hi guys,

I frequently get FPS drops in HL2, CS: Source etc. It is usually when there is something going on in the game or just when i look at random places in some maps. FPS is usually fine when nothing is happening or there is nothing too complex on the screen.
I wasnt too concerned about it until someone with similar specs told me they usually never get below 100.

My system specs are:
Gigabyte K8NSC-939
AMD64 3000+ winchester (not overclocked)
1GB (512x2 matched) Corsair TwinX PC3200 RAM (dual channel)
GeCube Radeon 9800Pro 128mb (256bit)
160GB Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB cache HDD
400W PSU

In 3Dmark05 i get 2475 and 3900 for CPU score. In Valve Stress Test i get 110 (1024x768, no AA or AF). I think these scores are about right.

I have the latest catalyst drivers and my HDD isn't cluttered as i only recently built this PC.

I have attached a pic of the problem. (It says 40fps if you can't read it)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA, ravecord.

Attachments

• hl2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 33
Originally posted by ravecord
I wasnt too concerned about it until someone with similar specs told me they usually never get below 100.
TIA, ravecord. [/B]

whoever told you that is idiotic, because radeon 9800's should give you 80 max.

Re: Re: FPS issues

powerslave12 said:
whoever told you that is idiotic, because radeon 9800's should give you 80 max.

No, it's all dependant on your settings.

When your graphics card is rendering the water, the far building's and the helicopter shooting at you, yes your FPS will drop by half easily.

ravecord said:

I frequently get FPS drops. It is usually when there is something going on in the game or just when i look at random places in some maps. FPS is usually fine when nothing is happening or there is nothing too complex on the screen.

You just answered your own question. Also, just because someone tells you he has a 9800 Pro and never drops below 100 fps doesn't mean yours won't. You have to take into account what map he is playing, where he is playing on the map, how many people are playing, if his PC specs other than his GPU are the same as yours, the drivers he is using, the settings his game is played at compared to yours and etc. GPU and FPS certainly have a correlation but it is not sufficient to suggest a causation. There are many other variables to consider.

There are no real ways to predict what ur FPS is, there are just too many variables, as stated above. The closest to a real indicator u can get is a stress test, like the one CS: Source includes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom