Forum Colors

Yeah you can put something together in a test site then save the XML sheet. Then all you have to do is make a new blank theme and install the XML sheet to it. Keeps the main theme (default) intact.
The rub is making it by committee can get a little bit involved. Maybe a thread to find out what the masses would like to see. Hmmm...

I think there use to be..

the forum has always been blue, back in the very very dim days YaBB was the hosting software and the theme was blue.

sometime on 2003 the forum software was changed from YaBB to Vnulletin

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

the theme was blue then,
it was blue a year later when I joined.
it's always been blue.

the logo has changed 5 times since I've been here that I can recall.

it went from a grainy computer forums with rings,
to a cleaner version of that.
there have also been snow covered versions for Christmas.

then there is the logo now, which had a Christmas hat version for Christmas.
Yeah you can put something together in a test site then save the XML sheet. Then all you have to do is make a new blank theme and install the XML sheet to it. Keeps the main theme (default) intact.
The rub is making it by committee can get a little bit involved. Maybe a thread to find out what the masses would like to see. Hmmm...
I've always understood that it was easy to make a new style, but never knew how easy.

why make by comitee though?
if a member makes a sheet, (and that sheet is well recieved by a lot of users) then why not just add it.

that way if Wildcat wants pink/black that can be done by her, (or anyone who wants to do it.)

practically zero work for the admin.

Historically people have had more luck standing on beaches and shouting at the tide not to come in than they have at getting the theme changed on this forum, but it's always worth a try...

It's not that hard and this has been said many times before its not easy to accommodate everyone's needs and wishes, I thought it was easy to do too Root but have never attempted to do anything like it before..

It's not that hard and this has been said many times before its not easy to accommodate everyone's needs and wishes, I thought it was easy to do too Root but have never attempted to do anything like it before..

Of course it's not easy to accommodate everyone's needs and wishes.

but that's why I said users can make the style sheets themselves. That way those who put in the work get to have their every little wish catered for. and those who do not put in the work do not. (that's how society should be, those who work are rewarded!)

what I mean is:
Do I (personally) want to change from this blue theme that's now been in use for a decade?
No.

Do other people?
Yes.

Should the admin take hours out of their lives to design a raft of new style sheets for the forum in order to satisfy various users wishes?
If they want to they can, it would be incredibly generous, but they can't be forced to.

should the admin take five minutes to upload a style sheet if a user has spent many hours developing it?
I don't see why not, I'm not saying that the admin *must* ask how high every time a user says jump.

But fundamentally this forum has always tried to listen to users and tried to adapt to the needs of users. without users a forum will die.

Provided that people uploading style sheets are not looking for recompense (money) for their work.
and are happy that they are giving their work to a community of sites. (the forum owner owns a lot of forums)
and thus are happy that their theme that they wrote for computer forums may get used on any one of the forum owners other sites.

Then I think that if people are willing to give up their time, for free, to make using the forums a nicer more personal enjoyment, and are happy that the forum owner can use their work to further all their on line businesses...

then it's almost be rude for the admin to not at least entertain the idea...

don't go writing style sheets just yet though. wait until the admins have come in and made their stance clear.

Yes the admins have always listen to member have had to say. You are right no one can force them to design new themes and at the end of the day it's the owners decision as to what happens..

Back
Top Bottom