Formatting

Dynamix

Fully Optimized
I have reformated my computer a few times, and every time it leaves on files from the previous installation, why is that is there a way to totally get a fresh installation, Basicly like a new Hard Drive No Files or Anything on it at all!

When you say you've formatted it, do you mean when you're installing Windows, and it asks if you want to do a quick format?

If so, this probably will leave files as it is only a quick format to allow Windows to install, so basically only deleting the things it needs to.

The best thing you can do is insert a boot disc at start-up (You can make them using Add/Remove Programs, under Boot disc, unless it is Windows XP which i have a feeling it is, and in this case you can go to this:

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71

Just look for creating an XP start-up cassette, and you're version.

You could use the XP cd as a boot to it as well, yet I have not used that way, (just make sure in you're bios, it is set to check floppy/cd first, before the hard drive!)

Finally just type after putting it in, and it lets you type:

cd:\ (to step the computer away from looking at the floppy)
then type

c:\format

and follow the instructions :)

Hope this helps
Kage

Just had a little brainwave.

Do you by any chance have two drives installed? In which case when formatting, do whats up there but do the next drive in the same way, replacing that drive letter with another.

Hope this helps
Kage

Back
Top Bottom