Formatting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafae

Beta member
Although I know I can do it by rebooting with the windows disk, I am trying to format one of my drives through windows. Afterall, windows XP does offer a format option when you right click a hard drive.

So I tried to format it by right clicking, no-go. It sayes the drive is in use (yeah, right) so I decide to do it via dos. I unmounted the drive and began formatting. It gets to 100%, then repeats the message asking if I would like to forcefully unmount the drive because windows is using it. It then displays the error "This Drive is too large for FAT32" even though I didn't even want fat32 on the drive.

Does anyone have any ideas, or do I have to go out of my way to switch the drive over to master and format with a floppy. (Perhaps there is a great program that I can download for free that will format the drive for me)

(By the way, this is a slave drive, not a master)

If you have any ideas/suggestions I would be more than greatful.

Although I know I can do it by rebooting with the windows disk, I am trying to format one of my drives through windows. Afterall, windows XP does offer a format option when you right click a hard drive.

So I tried to format it by right clicking, no-go. It sayes the drive is in use (yeah, right) so I decide to do it via dos. I unmounted the drive and began formatting. It gets to 100%, then repeats the message asking if I would like to forcefully unmount the drive because windows is using it. It then displays the error "This Drive is too large for FAT32" even though I didn't even want fat32 on the drive.

Does anyone have any ideas, or do I have to go out of my way to switch the drive over to master and format with a floppy. (Perhaps there is a great program that I can download for free that will format the drive for me)

(By the way, this is a slave drive, not a master)

If you have any ideas/suggestions I would be more than greatful.

I figured it out, here is what to do:

Go to the control panel. Open up Administrative Tools. Open up "Computer Management" Under the Storage tab, click on "Disk Management" then just right click on the disk you want to format, and hit "Format"

It worked great from what I can tell :D

Attachments

• 325.jpg
    325.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
I figured it out, here is what to do:

Go to the control panel. Open up Administrative Tools. Open up "Computer Management" Under the Storage tab, click on "Disk Management" then just right click on the disk you want to format, and hit "Format"

It worked great from what I can tell :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom