formatting hard drive

philip cole

Solid State Member
I recently lost my boot records on my old hard drive and couldn't access my files so i had new hard drive installed with xp pro and have installed the one that failed as a slave, i have managed to remove what i thought was lost data via getbackdata but cannot delete existing files so as to be able to use this space. The drive was password protected and also partitioned into a 30 main with 50 secondary hard disc partition. When i try to format it states that all programs should be exitied , i cannot find any running or momitiring this drive but still i cannot format it. I would like advice on how i can regain this space, preferably with the partion in tack but if i have to use it as one so be it . if anyone could give me a step by step acccount of how i can achieve this i would be most grateful.
Thanks
Phil.

Hi, I think if I had this problem, I'd make a bootable diskette first. Then temporarily reconfigure the slave as a master and remove the new drive. Then I'd reboot to the diskette and format the drive. It may have to have the partitiions removed using the fdisk utility also. Then I'd put the new drive in as master, change the old one back to a slave and let the new operating system do what it wants with the extra space. Hope this helps.

I am trying to load Win2k on my mothers computer. I have a win98 disk that I'm using to format the hard drive and partition it, however RAM is being put into the C: drive thus preventing me from formatting it. How do I format this hard drive?

Thank you!

can't u partition using the win2k disc? If not, install it in a separate partition and then u can format the c: drive using win2k later.

Back
Top Bottom