Formatin

Psych0

Baseband Member
Yo hi ppl this may sound like a stupid question but how would i go about formattin my computer i hav never done it before and need a bit of help thanx

Psych0 said:
Yo hi ppl this may sound like a stupid question but how would i go about formattin my computer i hav never done it before and need a bit of help thanx

This might belong to a different forum.

What windows are u going to install? If xp then just enter the xp disc, boot the computer. When starting the computer it will ask u to press a key if u want to boot from cd. So press any key.
Then proceed to the point where it asks u about partitions. If u want to completely format ur hdd just delete the partition(s). Then install windows to one of them (if u have many hdds install windows to the master drive) Then just follow the instructions and u will do fine.

If you want to format... it's easy. Right click on your C drive icon... go to format... and then follow the directions and there you go... and yes, it belongs in hardware and software...

can do this with boot disk or cmd prompt... type
1. cd C: (or whatever your HDD is named)
2. format C: (or whatever your HDD is named)
3. follow prompts
4. you're done.

Haha i have always had trouble with Fdisk, originally i have tried to use it to partition but its just too hard lol
Yea, i would follow daemons advice, use the windows xp boot disc and off you go :D

jac006 said:
If you want to format... it's easy. Right click on your C drive icon... go to format... and then follow the directions and there you go... and yes, it belongs in hardware and software.

Umm..
If you windows partition is on C:
Which it probably is.

When booted to windows... You can can't format c:

This needs to be done in DOS/MSDOS or Xp installer.

Go here. http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
download a windows ME boot disk. create a floppy boot disk..
Boot with the floppy. at the A> type format c: choose Y for the question and it will format.

If you dont have a floppy. Go here: http://ebcd.pcministry.com/
Download the boot cd and burn it.. Boot with floppy and use the dos emulator there to format as above..

Or

use the XP CD and boot and format there..

As far as Fdisk.. You can't have trouble with it.. it's only 4 menus.. Plus fdisk doesn't format only partitions.

Back
Top Bottom