Format a HDD with Windows on it to blank to use as an external?

Boom123

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am purchasing a ready built gaming pc, and it comes with Windows 10 installed on a 3TB HDD. I want to remove the HDD that comes with it and install a Western Digital Black instead with Windows 7.

My question is, will I be able to format the HDD that comes with the pc (with Windows 10 on it) to make it blank and start using it as an external drive in a caddy / enclosure?

Also, any opinions on the Western Digital Black 3TB? I heard they boast high reliability, that is why I'm opting to have this installed as my drive.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Any particular reason you don't want to run Windows 10? You'll need a product key for Windows 7, obviously, if you're going to do that. WD Black drives are good. If you can get an HGST drive, they typically have a lower failure rate.

You don't say what brand 3TB HDD the machine comes with. Shouldn't you find that out before deciding? Maybe it's already a WD Black or an HGST.

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I really appreciate the help.

@MidnightShadow: I mostly play retro games, and Windows 10 has massive compatibility issues with them. Windows 7 seems to run most of them flawlessly, especially having Windows XP Mode, that is a great help. Would this HGST drive be better than the WD Black? Does it make a difference that it is NAS storage? I plan to install an SSD to boot from, and this drive (or WD Black) for storage: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-Desks...=UTF8&qid=1471655910&sr=8-1&keywords=hgst+3tb

@strollin: the pc is ready built so I didn't choose the 3TB drive. When I asked the company what the brand is, they replied with 'depending on the availability of our suppliers, rest assured though, all drives used are trustworthy top of the line brands'. So since I don't know what brand the drive is, I figured I'd just use it as an external, and install a drive I know to be 100% reliable.

Thanks again for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom