Ford now allows parents to set speed govoners and satelite radio controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ford allows parents to control satellite radio and speed - Dec. 29, 2010

Those days of fast cars and rock n' roll could be coming to an end for teen drivers.

Ford has announced upgrades to its MyKey technology that will allow parents to control both speed settings and satellite radio programming in their family cars.

The new technology aims to tackle concerns about teen driving safety and assist parents in setting limits on younger drivers as they transition to highway driving.

Before the upgrade, Ford's MyKey system allowed users to program a key that limits a vehicle's speed to 80 mph and alerts the driver at 45, 55, and 65 mph. The new technology now allows parents to limit the vehicle's speeds to 65, 70, 75, or 80 mph -- curbing a teenager's options for driving too fast.

Current features on MyKey allow parents to limit audio volume, but the upgrade gives parents control to block "explicit satellite radio programming." Sirius Satellite Radio has several explicit channels, including ones featuring shock jock Howard Stern.

MyKey technology currently also gives parents the ability to mute the radio until passengers up front buckle up.

In a press release, Graydon Reitz, director of Ford Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering, said: "Ford wants to give parents peace of mind that their kids are following practical household rules in the car."

I think this is a great thing finally, as long as it's standard on all models. Ever since I learned how to drive, I knew if I ever wanted kids, and I could afford them a car, it would have the capability to limit the speed, aside from the factory preset, though, I wonder what the programming does once a teen TRIES to go past, if the fuel injectors are cut till the car slows back down, that could be hazardous, as the engine is essentially, dead, you will loose power/assisted EVERYTHING if it isn't electrical. Now, if the Throttle Body is electronic and not cable driven, the TB can close off, letting the engine sit at idle while the car slows back down, or it could just reach a maximum open point once at speed, and never rev high enough to gain speed.

I also see one more downside, there ARE times when powering through things which requires higher rates of speed is more beneficial than trying to stop, though, it's VERY difficult to do something of this nature, and you truly have to know what is going on, and how your car/truck truly handles in all situations, which most people hardly know the limits of the car they have.

^ More than likely it some form of rev limiter, by retarding the spark advance.

In my opinion it sounds like more crap to break. Or get in the way if your trying to modify your vehicle.

Some states prohibit modifications or removal of stock engine/transmission/exhaust/intake components, everything usually has to stay OEM. Even if a state doesn't, local law can also prohibit it.

But, modding some of these newer cars requires more money than what an older car would need, I am talking mostly engine/transmission/computer modifications.

Some states prohibit modifications or removal of stock engine/transmission/exhaust/intake components, everything usually has to stay OEM. Even if a state doesn't, local law can also prohibit it.

But, modding some of these newer cars requires more money than what an older car would need, I am talking mostly engine/transmission/computer modifications.

What states prohibit modifying vehicles? Plus, even if state or local law prohibits modifying vehicles, thats not going to stop anybody. Lol. It certainly didnt stop me from modifying my car. It didnt stop my dad either. lol

It's just like people that put projectors WITH hids in them, on a car, that didn't have it stock, it's against national DOT law to do so, though, putting bulbs that have a 5k light isn't illegal in projectors on a car that didn't have them.

Trust me, you **** a cop off enough, you could have your car impounded due to a "small" mod.

Also, all states that have emissions/safety testing, AFAIK actually look at the air intake, if you have a CAI and it isn't stock, you could fail emissions, or if the cop was ****y enough, and you don't have the proper permit a CAI can land a nice ticket.

In VA we dont have emissions tests, and I have both an aftermarket intake and exhaust on my car and its been inspected and passed. I also have 4500K HIDs in reflector type housings. I also have my high/low and fog lights wired to they stay on all at once, that passed inspection. They must not have noticed though cause when they were done I asked the inspector dude and he said higs and lows at the same time are illegal... LMAO.

And also, I dont see how a CAI could fail emissions tests? It has absolutely no negative effect on the environment.

Mostly due to some PCV systems that use the intake before the TB and after the air filter, most kits that are not designed for the specific car wont have it, and even placing a MAP sensor in a strange location can throw emissions off, a friend had some nissan with a 4 banger and we put a CAI on it, well, we didn't wanna cut the pipe in one location because we didn't have a coupler, so we moved it further down, a full 8 inchs, that was enough to throw the computer off and put it into a fail safe, cut the pipe, and move it closer to the factory location, and it was happy.

Also, RE-READ what I wrote, a 5k halogen bulb is perfectly legal in a projector, but once you throw a 5k HID in it, if your car didn't have HID stock, you can get a nasty fine, I know of plenty of people that have been pulled over by Highway Patrol (different from state/local, they almost always and only deal with truckers) for having HIDS in a car that obviously was never designed for such a bulb, nor projectors. It's just a law. (I just re-read yours, in my opinion, ask someone that knows NATIONAL laws, not just the local ones, that's what ****ed me when I went to PA with blue neon underglows on my car, and blue halos.)

Just because you can get away with it, doesn't mean you can 1000 miles away.

There is also local and national laws that deal with reflectors, you must have a minimum of such and such total area on the rear of the car covered with red reflective materials, I only know this because of all the cars that people put gutted lenses in, the cops would pull them over because these cars had no additional, non-lighted reflectors that was RED, and non-colored light on the back = BIG no no.

A bit of that goes outside mods, but, in a lot of areas that DO enforce things of that nature, you can have your car re-labeled, and it be legal on the road, just expect to pay more insurance/taxes and so on to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom