ford bypass

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
we recently purchased a used ford escape (2007) which only came with one key. only to find out that a new key will cost in the $100.00 range ($38.00 for the key, and $65.00 for "programming". all because ford is craming an anti theft system down our throat. for brand new cars, especially in large cities, that may be necessary. but out in the sticks, a car is much more likely to have a tree fall on it, than be stolen. i would really LOVE to completely bypass this system. but if it can be done, no one is saying. i know this is a long shot, but does anyone here have any idea how to bypass or disable this thing? we typically have 5 or 6 keys for each of our vehicles. we keep them locked all the time, so locking the keys in it WILL happen at some point. not to mention my wife seems to loose her keys about every other year.

well, i THINK that if a person was so inclined, they could tear the steering column apart, remove the chip "reciever", and permanantly affix (think epoxy) the key (probably have to cut off the metal part that goes into the switch) to the reciver, then relocate that. and reassemble the steering column, it could be done. it may take reloacting the reciever under the dash, and / or extending the wiring harness to do so. but that would be a ridiculous amount of work to accomplish it. i do not like this at all. being FORCED to pay way to much money for something that ONLY benifits the insurance companies. but that is the corrupt, wonderful world we live in.

You can disable PATS by turning your key to the on position and holding the button the box in until it's disabled. I'm not sure if this will let you use a non PATS key or not though. Only way to find out is find somebody at like a Walmart or something that will actually make a copy of the key without PATS programming.

Edit: If you want to disable PATS you can do so with a custom tune.

Last edited:
Make sure you alert your insurance company you are disabling the anti-theft system that came with your car, otherwise it would be fraudulent,, they expect that system to be there on that car due to the VIN usually. Expect your rate to go up $30-$100/year for disabling the security system. If you don't report it, and the car is ever stolen, then recovered, and they find out you disabled it, they would reject any payments to you, and possibly get the courts involved.

I think you would have have a hard time finding somebody to even cut you a key. My mother in law lost her Chrysler key and she tried to get a copy made at the local hardware....they denied cutting her a new key because it is a chipped key. Coughed up $80. from the dealer to get another key.
I lucked out, I can get copies for my 06 trailblazer for about $5. from the local hardware, no chip

I think you would have have a hard time finding somebody to even cut you a key. My mother in law lost her Chrysler key and she tried to get a copy made at the local hardware....they denied cutting her a new key because it is a chipped key. Coughed up $80. from the dealer to get another key.
I lucked out, I can get copies for my 06 trailblazer for about $5. from the local hardware, no chip

The issue with cutting keys that are chipped, is that they tend to be a size that most places can't get unless they have the programming equipment for such keys. I know at my store, we sell programmed keys, but thats only for GM cars, we don't have the programming for FORD or Dodge, and they wont buy the machine for those makes because they cost so much. It's rare that we even get someone with a chipped key to cut to begin with so we only keep 12 or so GM keys in stock.

I have a newer Chrysler 200 and the key is most likely chipped too, The key is integrated with the remote control entry/trunk/start...ect. so replacing something like that I would think one would have to go oem dealer

we have already purchased 3 spare non chipped keys. getting them here, is not an issue. if nothing else, we can always get into the car, and out of the elements.

Back
Top Bottom