Folding rig sponsorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Is there any way we can get donations and sponsors etc to help us get a high end folding rig for tech-forums?

I say if it were possible, to wait until nvidia brings out their stuff though but i think its a good idea assuming we know who to ask and if enough people here are interested in donating.

The rig can remain at an Admin's house or Dave's doesnt really matter where so long as someone is willing to keep it (might be an issue, not sure, once again this is just throwing stuff out there).

All in all this is a run down of the costs:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz - $195
Newegg.com - ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 - $140
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3160318AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $40
Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12D 850 Silver 850W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies - $119
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory - $95
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners - $25
Newegg.com - CHIEFTEC BRAVO BA-01B-B-B Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases - $100

Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX260MC896OCDE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - $200
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX260MC896OCDE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - $200

Total around: $1300.

Just a work in progress, i put the nvidia cards at $200 as $600 can be the budget for all the cards when new stuff gets released.

Well what do we think of the idea?

Intel's CPUs seem to fold better than AMDs. Odds are the code is optimized for Intel, but we know they wouldn't do anything like that. >.>

Intel's CPUs seem to fold better than AMDs. Odds are the code is optimized for Intel, but we know they wouldn't do anything like that. >.>

True but i was more thinking of a GPU rig, as the only motherboards with that many PCIE slots are newer X58 and the like boards. The CPU compared to the GPU's will take a back seat.

A high performance rig is the big advances. A dual cpu monster dumping 50+k a day on cpu stuff alone.

i thin the intel boost is due to the Intel conspiracy in the compiler .

This adopt a rig/1 main TF is a nice idea... but usually doesnt materialize/play out well.

Well if it can be done, i will gladly volunteer to have it stay at my place. Since i will have constant power to it and constant net access. With the new job i can afford the extra few bucks that this will kick into the bill.

Just a thought.

But in a way i agree with Trotter. If we can get a Intel CPU we can run notfred or SMP on it and get even more folding done.

I will chip in a OS to run it. That much i can do.

I would go with a overclocked i7 system, 1156 or 1366, as an i7 running big units can crank out a lot more points than GPU's and uses a lot less power.

Keep in mind that who ever houses the rig will probably see an increase of their electric bill. I would estimate close to $10. Doesnt seem like alot, but that adds up.

Good idea, but the important thing is how we can get it to actually play out...

I can also offer my house (probably, as long as my parents dont freak out over my rig's current addition to their bill lol) but I do think it would be better suited at an Admin's place.

I would go with a overclocked i7 system, 1156 or 1366, as an i7 running big units can crank out a lot more points than GPU's and uses a LOT less power.

Keep in mind that who ever houses the rig will probably see an increase of their electric bill. I would estimate close to $10. Doesnt seem like alot, but that adds up.

Go idea, but the important thing is how we can get it to actually play out...

Yeah i just updated with an i5 so thats taken care of.

Maybe instead of an ad on a page we could do something with the sigs, e.g. drag the yellow bottom bit on the folding badge down a bit more and include a line on it like "sponsored by nVidia"

I will chip in a OS to run it.

Wouldn't we run Linux on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom