Folder and virus question

starrt86

Beta member
Hi I just found this site and I have two questions. The first has to do with my computer. I have a folder that I can not find it is called complete I think it was put on my computer when I had kazzaa. Any time I do a search on my hard drive it comes up with this folder and tells me where it is at and everything. But when I go to find it it is no where to be found. So I was wanting to know if there is a way or a program that will find it so that I can delete it because I'm pretty sure it is making some problems on my computer. My other question is a friend of mine got a virus on her computer I forget the name of it if you need to know I can find out. Would it be possible if I found the files to be able to just delete the files I have a program that lets me delete any file even if in use by windows. She doesn't have a virus program I was going to put mine on but it is older and if i remember right even when it found some viruses it couldn't delete them for some reason or another. So I figured if I found them I could just delete them and hope that will fix the problem. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

First off, it doesn't sound like the file is hidden, because you're able to find it by the search feature. When you do find it, make sure you know the exact path. It can get tricky when it's deep within some folders.
Second, your friend, yes it may be possible to simply delete the virus files, but unlikely. Virus writers have a feature built in that denies access if you try and delete the files. The best bet would be to have her download Avast! Free Home Edition, and install, update, and run. It should take care of the viruses. That's the program I've been using for over 2 years now, and still virus free. Good luck.

Q1 When you do your search just double click the folder in the results, that will open it for you, or right click the folder in the search results and select explore, that will open it in Windows Explorer giving you the directory tree on the left allowing you to delete it.

Q2 As Mike has stated there are plenty of free av programmes out there, as well as online scanners. AVG Free works fine for me, Panda ActiveScan, BitDefender, Trend Micro Housecall, as well as others, are free online virus scanners. It is possible that the virus is by now in her restore points as well, (assuming she is running XP) so clearing those before scanning would be best, don't forget to re enable system restore once you have cleared it.

pctechmike said:
First off, it doesn't sound like the file is hidden, because you're able to find it by the search feature. When you do find it, make sure you know the exact path. It can get tricky when it's deep within some folders.
Second, your friend, yes it may be possible to simply delete the virus files, but unlikely. Virus writers have a feature built in that denies access if you try and delete the files. The best bet would be to have her download Avast! Free Home Edition, and install, update, and run. It should take care of the viruses. That's the program I've been using for over 2 years now, and still virus free. Good luck.

hey mike listen download that bitdefender in thread I made it's a antivirus tool so you can run with out uninstalling anything and then tell me if you virus free after you run a scan.

Thanks for the information on the virus I will do some looking and see what I come up with. As far as the folder question I worded it wrong. The problem is that when I am doing a search on my computer for any kind of file I see it searching in the folder that I can not find. I go to the location which is C:\ docutments and settings\my name. Now that is where it is saying that it is at but when I go to it it is no where to be found. The folder never pops up as a folder that I can go to when I am doing a search cause if it would I would have deleted it then. I hope I cleared my question up a little better this time. Thank you

Hackslayer said:
hey mike listen download that bitdefender in thread I made it's a antivirus tool so you can run with out uninstalling anything and then tell me if you virus free after you run a scan.

Wasn't able to find your thread by searching "BitDefender", but I downloaded and installed BitDefender 8 Free Edition. Currently scanning now (11%, 60,000 files). I know BitDefender is a great Anitvirus program, but Avast has saved me a number of times. I'm thinking of running this BitDefender for a while though. I was unaware that it had a free edition also. I appreciate you asking me to do that, and I will really put this to the test also, just like I have with Avast.

As for the original question, try opening my computer, click on tools, folder options, view, and make sure the radio button is marked for view hidden files and folders.

I have the folder options set up so that I can see everything. That was one of the first things I did.

Back
Top Bottom