flash drive

blando233

In Runtime
Hey guys i was wondering how to be able to run a program right off a USB device. For example AVG if i wanted to run it off my USB to scan the computer or somthing. Is this possible if so how? Thanks guys!

It depends on the program, but most won't work off of a pen drive because it creates registry entries. When it installs, it stores settings, file paths to other prgorams etc in the registry. If you install it on a USB device, unplug the device and put it in another system, the other system won't have the registry entries, and so it won't work.

Certain programs don't create registry entries, so can be stored on a USB device and transfered from 1 computer to another, however AVG isn't one such program

You will have to either google it or just give it a go, I don't know every piece of software which will and won't work. As a very general guideline, if you must install the program, it won't work, if it is a standalone program that will work from being extracted/just as an .EXE or.MSI file, it will work.

However, checking my registry, the entries ccleaner have look like they could be replicated by the program to defaults, which they are already at I think, so it may work

yea i will hahve to try ccleaner out. should i just install it like directly on it correct?

Indeed. When you runt he installer, it gives you an option to pick the installation path. Choose your flash drive with \ccleaner on the end and it will create a folder in there called ccleaner with the program installed, then just take the flash drive to another computer and try it out

fyi : Im working on a hack where u can install windows xp directly on tp a flash drive, im hoping to post something up here in the next few days

Back
Top Bottom